Confused about a fuse

Last response: in Components
February 1, 2012 5:47:25 AM

Hi
I posted for something similar before

ATI 5670 graphics

OCZ StealthXStream2 600w Silent ATX2 Power Supply 80PLUS

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.20GHz Black Edition (Socket AM3) – Retail

- Corsair Hydro H60 CPU Cooler with free Akasa Apache Fan (Socket  LGA1366  1155  1156  775  AM2  AM3)

- Corsair Hydro H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366/1155/1156/775/AM2/AM3)

- Akasa 120mm Apache Fan

- Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-US2H 760G (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard

- Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

My pc power cable fuses keep blowing, ive just replaced the power supply to the one above.
I have a surg-protector plug connected to the pc then the wall. the surg-protector plug isnt blowing?

This morning i replaced a fuse into the pc plug and when i plugged it into the surg protector i got a spark?

I'm wondering if my case is at fault.. no idea what make it is.. its about 10 years old
the fuses only blow at boot up...

Thanks in advance
Andy

More about : confused fuse

a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2012 7:26:23 AM

Maybe you're putting a wrong amp fuse into the socket. Check the required capacity for the fuse and replace it with something closer to the actual value.
Secondly, a short in the circuitry of the board at the backside where the mobo is mounted could make this happen if you live in a very humid environment. Condensation on the mobo back mounting plate could lead to this.
The surge protectors fuse doesn't blow up because it's of a higher capacity then the one in the PC since the surge protector is going to protect other stuff plugged into it other than the PC too, thus a higher capacity Fuse is used.
February 1, 2012 8:18:53 AM

fuse in the PC plug is 13 amp.
The computer is in my bedroom and def not humid. I live in scotland.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2012 8:37:25 AM

if your blowing 13a fuses then theres something wrong in your pc if it was a problem with the house wiring the surge protector would flip first.
what i imaging is happening is the power enters the pc, passes the psu becomes unstable and on its way out blows the fuse. if this is the case then your looking at damaged motherboard at the very least. as you have already replaced the psu...
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2012 11:44:33 AM

WOW!! I use that 13amp fuse in my electric Iron, from the Uk of course, that's 1200W.... :) 
Blowing that fuse is an indication of a short somewhere in the rig or the cable connecting the PSU to the Mobo.
Suggestion would be to inspect the cables of the 24 Pin Connector and also check the backside of the mobo where the Mobo power connects. you will need to inspect them very carefully to see what's causing the short. It could even be solder that might have melted due to heating up of a loose contact at the power connector.....
February 2, 2012 11:56:41 AM

Ok thanks all

I will look into changing my motherboard and case. next month.
Andy
!