FM2 Motherboards

tech_twist

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Im just curious on why would FM2 Motherboard manufacturers include several PCIe slots if :fou: :

1. APU can only be paired on a certain series of graphic cards to get better performance
2. that the APU is not ideal to use with a discrete graphic cards

1. APU's you are right can only be paired with certain graphic cards however, that being said once you get beyond the 200 dollar range you will have far better performance with a discrete graphics card then trying to match it with a card to get there duel graphics configuration.

2. Its not ideal mainly because if you had plans to go with a discrete card you would go and get a different platform whether it was a AMD FX or Intel i5 you would get something else. They are directed at a completely different audience for people who just want a onboard graphics card and a system that works a very entry level gaming machine.

tech_twist

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
if their main concern was to target those people who are only after the onboard graphics then why would they include extra PCIe? I mean, it should have a purpose right? so FM2 A85 series of mobos that has several PCIe slots are useless.

Well lets look at the a10 for example it provides a decent graphic experience and is a quad core but if someone turns around and wants a graphics card its a little hard to just say no we won't allow dedicated graphics card I believe its there so that people would still look to graphic cards if they wanted them.