Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB
Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W
LG Black(Blu-ra and DVD read Write)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
TV tuner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6815116028

I first did a test run of the PSU, GPU, memory, CPU, CPU cooler and motherboard outside of the case.
This went perfectly

So I then proceed to install everything in the case and everything goes fine until I try to turn on the power for the PSU

When I flip the switch there is a loud pop sparks fly and there is a little bit of smoke.

What the heck happened?!
Any help or advise would be much appreciated

More about : build failure

November 1, 2011 5:31:53 AM

where did the smoke come from? put your nose near the motherboard and near the psu. Pray it is the psu.
m
l
November 1, 2011 5:38:06 AM

I cant really tell now but I believe it was the PSU...thats were the sparks look like they came from and now the power switch wont stay in the off position
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2011 6:50:19 AM

It is very possible then the rest of your rig survived. damned CM.
m
l
November 1, 2011 7:40:02 AM

I'm a thermaltake man for a reason.
m
l
November 1, 2011 7:52:33 AM

If it worked outside and not inside, it would appear that something was "different". If ya did everything the same, I wonder if the MoBo was shorting to the case. Did you install the brass standoffs ? Did you install ONLY the standoffs that will be used by the MoBo hold down screws ?
m
l
November 1, 2011 8:20:42 AM

It sounds like you have blown the PSU or somehow "shorted" the system.

Check for parts of the motherboard which are touching the case.
m
l
November 1, 2011 8:47:33 AM

+1 to both the above, JackNaylor is probably spot on. Misplaced mobo standoff is a killer.
m
l
November 1, 2011 3:25:40 PM

I just cheecked again and I installed only the correct brass standoffs so thats no the problem
I did notice something though. The back plate for the cpu cooler was touching the case...could this have done it?
and if this is the problem please tell me id didnt ruin my CPUor MOBO
m
l
November 1, 2011 4:07:53 PM

If your CPU cooler bracket was touching the case, you may installed it incorrectly.

You should sufficient clearance between backplate and case.

This probably caused the short.

Replace the PSU and reassemble to see if you have damaged other components.
m
l
November 1, 2011 4:16:52 PM

I dont see how I could have installed it wrong but I will try and reinstall it....if this is the problem what are the chances that other stuff got fried as well?
m
l
November 1, 2011 4:31:06 PM

It's hard to tell. It could just be the PSU.

Reseat the backplate and check that the case cover is not touching.

Hope for the best.
m
l
November 1, 2011 5:22:48 PM

jmart1025 said:
I just cheecked again and I installed only the correct brass standoffs so thats no the problem
I did notice something though. The back plate for the cpu cooler was touching the case...could this have done it?
and if this is the problem please tell me id didnt ruin my CPUor MOBO

no that is impossible.
m
l
November 1, 2011 5:48:22 PM

Check to see if the jumper on the PSU was set to 240 or 120. Set it to what your region is, in US it is 120, Canada not sure. If you have a 240 outlet pumping into a 120 set PSU it will break it.
m
l
November 1, 2011 6:00:14 PM

videogamerign said:
Check to see if the jumper on the PSU was set to 240 or 120. Set it to what your region is, in US it is 120, Canada not sure. If you have a 240 outlet pumping into a 120 set PSU it will break it.

he had computer running and did a full install of windows 7 before adding the card and getting these results.

As to why it is impossible for the whole cpu heatsink touching chassis having caused this, the chassis is grounded and the electrons would have used the fastest way to the earth which is through the cable. I have also never encountered electrified chassis in my long past of computers with much much worse psu's than this one. Besides the cpu cap is not touching any of the internal chip. If that was so any thermal paste would be short circuiting it. CPUs are pretty much the studiest of the components with the most vulnerable being the mobo then the gfx card then the ram.

All the further experimenting point to the psu shooting some 13-14 volts through the 24 pin connector directly to the heart of your system. Leds being lit means the psu is working "fine". In fact, keep meddling with the same psu and maybe you will end up with all kinds of new symptoms :p 
m
l
November 1, 2011 6:06:05 PM

Also if it was the cpu we would have different kinds of symptoms. The mobo would power up with all it's fans and give (or not) audible alerts through the pc speaker (which i hope you connected by now).

What we are dealing with here is a failure between the most basic of signals from the mobo to the psu to "power on". It won't give that signal any longer. Blown psu's will NOT give the fundamental power for even the leds.

Off chance: An example of the asus crosshair motherboard. It has a blue led switch in the i/o shield area that when it is on (and fantastic blue light emanates from your mobo lol) it will cause the EXACT same effect. Pushing that button returns operations to normal.
m
l
November 1, 2011 6:46:29 PM

i think you misunderstood me...I never got far enough to install windows 7 or anything....In did an external build (CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, CPU cooler) which worked perfectly.... I then turned off the PSU and installed everything into the case...Once this was done I flipped on the switch on the back of the PSU, then there was a loud pop sparks and smoke which Im fairly sure came from the PSU....and now the power switch for the PSU is stuck in the on position so I cant do anything with it.....Im now trying to figure out why this happened (also I dont now if this would affect anything but my case is on plastic wheels)
m
l
November 1, 2011 6:56:20 PM

Toss that PSU and get a new one. Breadboard with the new PSU and post results.
m
l
November 1, 2011 8:20:57 PM

*facepalm* sorry i thought i was replying to another case... damn. Ok, what finneousPJ said
m
l
November 1, 2011 8:36:30 PM

two things first what is breadboard?
Second Im trying to figure out what went wrong the first time before I reinstall a second time
m
l
November 1, 2011 8:44:29 PM

An external build as you put it. On a nonconductive surface :D 
m
l

Best solution

November 1, 2011 8:51:56 PM

by breadboard he means to take out all of your hardware, put it on a wooden surface like a table, connect everything while up there and fire it up.

well, for me a pop is a pop and smoke means don't try to put it together. Don't you have an older psu or something? If it worked outside of the case then popcorned inside the case with sparks and smoke coming from the PSU to me it is clear that you did nothing wrong and it was the PSU's time to go. If it wasn't the psu then you would have fried something else instead. Also the fact that the PSU switch won't stay on off position speaks volumes. Just try another psu ok? It doesn't even have to be a big one, just see if when you connect it to your mobo the leds light up and when you start it (don't plug the discrete gpu, let it use the internal one) if it posts. Even a 400 psu can do that. At least you'll know.
November 1, 2011 11:58:37 PM

this is my first build so I dont have an older PSU, also the PSU I used was brand new
m
l
November 2, 2011 2:03:22 PM

I would call the company that you got the PSU from and get a new one. Since it is new they shoudl send a new one out from warranty.
m
l
November 5, 2011 10:55:31 PM

ok heres a pic of where the cpu cooler is touching the case....I have no clue why its doing this i followed the instructions and tried to re install it but it still touches

could this be the problem and if so how can I fix it?

(also the new psu hasnt come in yet so i still dont know if anything is fried)
m
l
November 11, 2011 2:47:14 AM

New power supply came in, I ran a breadboard and every thing still works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank goodness!!
Finish setting up the computer and its running fine
Looks like it was just a bad PSU
thanks for all the help
m
l
November 11, 2011 2:48:56 AM

Best answer selected by jmart1025.
m
l
!