Sign in with
Your question

Has anybody seen RAIDMAX Blackstorm case in person?

Last response: in Components
February 1, 2012 6:50:31 AM

Hi
in April I plan on building my first home built PC. It will be for the purpose of having a PC which can transcode from a HD MPEG-2 transmission screen codec to one which compresses the video file size smaller than MPEG-2 is right off the computer tuner. This will be with a program that only uses the CPU not the GPU. Since this would be the purpose of this build I will build it to be able to handle some overclocking on the CPU only and will not require the longest most powerful video card I can get. But easy maintenance will be a consideration.

Consequently with the above being my purposes for this build I thought that what I saw on this video (at URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&... ) for the RAIDMAX Blackstorm was looking very good. It shows a computer case that lets you swing out the motherboard with any attached cards. This would seem to make periodic cleaning of the CPU cooler very easy.

A review of this computer case mentions it does not have the sufficient size to accommodate the longest video cards which I will not use anyway. But it does not mention how much room it has for a CPU cooler. Another review for a different case mentioned that with that case you had to remove the side fan to have sufficient room for the largest CPU coolers. So can anybody tell me what's the story with having sufficient room for the largest CPU coolers with this case? I'm also wondering if the fans are noisy? If somebody could comment will actually soar one of these cases in front of them that would be great, but however you know that would be great too.
I would appreciate whatever further information you could give me about this case.
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 1, 2012 6:58:42 AM

I would never buy anything raidmax.
m
l
February 1, 2012 8:16:58 AM

From the looks of it I would say it is a very poor case designed to lure people in with the outside looks rather than the functionality.

There is what seems to be 0 cable management facilitation, you would struggle to fit large CPU coolers in (phanteks, noctua etc etc) without having to get rid of the side fans.

I do like how the side panels open up but tbh thats a minor function made to seem better than it actually is.

In summary, avoid this like the plague, I would actually recomment looking for a case with a removable motherboard tray.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/13346356/NZXT-Panzerbox-F...

This NZXT panzerbox imo would be perfect for your needs.
m
l
February 1, 2012 10:21:19 AM

signor said:
I would actually recomment looking for a case with a removable motherboard tray.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/13346356/NZXT-Panzerbox-F...

This NZXT panzerbox imo would be perfect for your needs.

I find your recommendation a littel pricey. But it does beg the question how do you find something which is less pricey having a removable motherboard and sufficient space above the motherboard for any CPU cooler you may desire? It appears it that the case manufacturers do not state space above the motherboard specification at their websites. So where do you get this information? Do you just have to ask and ask here and see if somebody knows? Also will all the ways removable motherboards are fastened make it easy to pull them out for CPU cooler cleaning?

Still another question I have tried and returned a case which had thumbscrews to let you remove the side panels, but the lack of rigidity of the sides or perhaps the way you had to fit them to the body of the case made removing the side panels and reinserting them something which took quite a bit of manipulation. Are there any reviewers is of PC cases which regularly mention how easy it is to fit the side panels back once you removed them? Does aluminum was steel have anything to do with reinserting the side panels easily?
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 1, 2012 11:42:01 PM

haf 912
m
l
February 2, 2012 1:11:05 AM

amuffin said:
haf 912

That coolermaster haf 912 seems like a very good suggestion from reviews I watched on YouTube. One of these reviews stated if you mount a side fan it will not interfere with your CPU cooler. Is this because of the position of the provided holes to mount a site fan? Would this position of this site fan simply not be over your CPU cooler? Can you use the large CPU cooler noctua NF-P14/NF-P12 dual fan with this case? Are the side panels sufficiently rigid or whatever it takes to make the reinsertion of the side panels easy to do once they are removed? If I was to use one of these cases with a small one slot video card and a noctua NF-P14/NF-P12 would it be easy enough to get a can of dust off down by the cooler for cleaning of it without removing the motherboard? If not other other dust off like products that would afford me the ability to do this?
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 5:17:29 AM

in66732 said:
That coolermaster haf 912 seems like a very good suggestion from reviews I watched on YouTube. One of these reviews stated if you mount a side fan it will not interfere with your CPU cooler. Is this because of the position of the provided holes to mount a site fan? Would this position of this site fan simply not be over your CPU cooler? Can you use the large CPU cooler noctua NF-P14/NF-P12 dual fan with this case? Are the side panels sufficiently rigid or whatever it takes to make the reinsertion of the side panels easy to do once they are removed? If I was to use one of these cases with a small one slot video card and a noctua NF-P14/NF-P12 would it be easy enough to get a can of dust off down by the cooler for cleaning of it without removing the motherboard? If not other other dust off like products that would afford me the ability to do this?

Yes, the fan is placed right where your gpu(s) would be.
Yes they are easy to insert.
You can always remove the cooler then dust it off, but the case comes with dust filters so it doesn't need to be done within a few months. Though I would wash the dust filters every few months.
m
l
February 2, 2012 7:54:41 AM

amuffin said:

You can always remove the cooler then dust it off, but the case comes with dust filters so it doesn't need to be done within a few months. Though I would wash the dust filters every few months.

How often does the CPU cooler he could be removed in your opinion? Does removing the CPU cooler require removal and replacement of silicone grease or or at least adding silicon grease? I have considered your suggestion carefully and since I or so require a hot swap sata doct and CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced comes with one it will be a better deal for me. I also noticed CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced is more often discounted because of its greater popularity.

m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 7:55:57 AM

in66732 said:
How often does the CPU cooler he could be removed in your opinion? Does removing the CPU cooler require removal and replacement of silicone grease or or at least adding silicon grease? I have considered your suggestion carefully and since I or so require a hot swap sata doct and CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced comes with one it will be a better deal for me. I also noticed CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced is more often discounted because of its greater popularity.

I haven't removed my cooler in a while. If you have great temperatures, there is no need to remove it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 8:10:18 AM

amuffin said:
I haven't removed my cooler in a while. If you have great temperatures, there is no need to remove it.

A system should never need its CPU cooler removed unless it was mounted wrong or had badly applied thermal paste to begin with. Unless of course your swapping it out for a different cooler, just leave it well alone :) 
m
l
February 2, 2012 8:30:11 AM

AdrianPerry said:
A system should never need its CPU cooler removed unless it was mounted wrong or had badly applied thermal paste to begin with. Unless of course your swapping it out for a different cooler, just leave it well alone :) 

Are you saying then that a CPU cooler doesn't periodically have to have dust blown out of it? Or can you blow the dust out of it in it's tightly enclosed space? I was told you have to get beneath it to blow the dust out of it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 9:01:51 AM

in66732 said:
Are you saying then that a CPU cooler doesn't periodically have to have dust blown out of it? Or can you blow the dust out of it in it's tightly enclosed space? I was told you have to get beneath it to blow the dust out of it.

If using the stock heat sink then yes you might need to remove it due to the orientation of the fan.

Having dust filters on all intake fans around you case is usually an easier, lower maintenance option though :) 
m
l
!