Is the gaming industry about to be rocked

lesurderf

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Is the gaming industry about to be rocked by graphics technology 100,000-times more efficient?

This is a month old so some may have seen it.

Thanks to Tom's, I 've been building my own systems for a while. Ran across this and thought I'd share.

On August 1, Australian company Euclideon posted a video to YouTube which presages their technology as being the future of not just the gaming industry, but the world of graphics in general. Dubbed the “unlimited detail” method, have a look at the 7-minute-long video below which explains the method and how their polygon-to-atom converter aims to make game developer’s lives easier and reshape an entire graphics industry:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/is-the-gaming-industry-about-to-be-rocked-by-graphics-technology-100000-times-more-efficient/53986

Solution
Don't fall for the hype. There are many things that are near-impossible to do with this technology, including non-repeated architecture, animation, rotated geometry, and dynamic lighting. Also, voxels take up data, about 1-4 bytes per, depending on the color/lighting quality, and then multiply that by the size of the playfield, and terabytes of data can be used up very easily.

Link1
Link2
k303414_large_homer.drool.jpg

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Don't fall for the hype. There are many things that are near-impossible to do with this technology, including non-repeated architecture, animation, rotated geometry, and dynamic lighting. Also, voxels take up data, about 1-4 bytes per, depending on the color/lighting quality, and then multiply that by the size of the playfield, and terabytes of data can be used up very easily.

Link1
Link2

Solution

lesurderf

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Ahhh I should have looked. Thanks.