General questions about RAM

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
1)Is RAM's physical storage the same as the amount of memory it has on it?? for example a 2gb ram stick has 2gb of storage??

I'm wondering about this since if i select 4gb of my ram, i can use like 3.9gb for RAM Disk

2)Can someone explain in short what's difference between DDR and Multichannel memory to me? I've read wikipedia and it's confusing

thanks

Some ram is reserved for a small windows file in windows 7; some is reserved for the onboard video. Dual and tripple channel is determined by the motherboard chipset and which ram slots you use to run your system. The ram really has nothing to do with it; it's all the same; either non-ecc for desktop or sometimes ecc buffered (or registered) which only works in specific server boards and won't even post in most regular desktop motherboards. You don't need to understand the engineering concepts, simply select the proper ram and slots for your specific motherboard. Crucial provides it's own configurator software. I can't explain all the specifics, so if you don't understand the wiki article, then I won't be able to explain it either.