Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading worth it?

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2011 9:56:34 AM

Hello,

Would i feel a big difference in upgrading from x58/920/4gig to a sandybridge z68/2500k/16gig system?

More about : upgrading worth

a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 11:43:55 AM

Depending on how much money you have yes upgrade to the SB, how is your GPU? If its not up to par I would suggest keep to either 4-8 GB RAM and then upgrading the GPU if needed down the line if needed
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 12:07:10 PM

Why upgrade to something that's not leaps and bounds over what you have ? I find it hard to believe it can't still handle everything you throw at it. How come you're not running in triple channel mode ? Does it hurt performance with that extra stick any ?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 12:18:21 PM

Ha Same post?? - - - - Same advice

Depends. I'm not discounting what the others are saying, especially if you go with the 2500K. You actually loose the 4 HT cores. (i7 920 - 4 cores/8 threads @@ i5 2500K - 4 cores/4 threads). Definitely not worth it to me!
Now, if your thinking about the 2600K, and everyone mentions overclocking, you will be able to overclock that chip easier and higher than the 920, 4.5 GHz seems to be the norm. And depending on what board you currently have - how much memory can you put on it? The 1155 boards and chips are capable of handling more. So if you max out a new build you are looking at, (cpu/$320, mobo/$125, mem/$100@16GB's or $200 that if you want some 2,000MHz memory, Ha-good luck finding 32 workable GB's for your machine LOL), you are looking at roughly $550/$650. PLUS (Improved cooling for overclocking can run you anywhere up from $70 for air or $100 water cooling sealed units) Using your current drives, os, psu and graphics card(s) and any other components you have installed. Not too bad a cost.

Worth it?? Bragging rights mostly. You would see some improvements in performance, especially if you benchmark for fun. But again, that's usually bragging rights.

Like I said earlier, I'm not discounting, I'm actually agreeing with the other posters comments. I just wanted to give you an idea of the bigger package you're looking at. And others might show you benchmark testing sites and comparisons with charts and graphs, and yes, the sandy bridges are better improved chips, and, some people - LOTS of people upgraded from what you have to the newer stuff. And they swear they see a difference.

And if you're talking about gaming - I don't see any games that actually use more than 2 cores and the buzz about memory is "8 GB's, the new gaming standard" But is that because the sandybridges came back out with dual core memory?? And 8 GB kits are only ~$50?? and quite common?? Could be what the buzz is about.

You'll probably be just as good if you bump up your memory and maybe upgrade your video card. Depending of course on what you already have, including the psu.
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 4:45:42 PM

suteck said:

Like I said earlier, I'm not discounting, I'm actually agreeing with the other posters comments. I just wanted to give you an idea of the bigger package you're looking at. And others might show you benchmark testing sites and comparisons with charts and graphs, and yes, the sandy bridges are better improved chips, and, some people - LOTS of people upgraded from what you have to the newer stuff. And they swear they see a difference.

And if you're talking about gaming - I don't see any games that actually use more than 2 cores and the buzz about memory is "8 GB's, the new gaming standard" But is that because the sandybridges came back out with dual core memory?? And 8 GB kits are only ~$50?? and quite common?? Could be what the buzz is about.

You'll probably be just as good if you bump up your memory and maybe upgrade your video card. Depending of course on what you already have, including the psu.

OK let me chime in here as someone who owns and uses both platforms every day. At home I use an overclocked i7-920 to 3.0GHz. At work, I use an SB build based off a Z68 motherboard and an i3-2120 running at the stock speed of 3.30 GHz. The home build uses 12GB of Corsair XMS 2 1333MHz (6 x 2GB) triple channel RAM off an Asus P6T motherboard and an Intel 320 SSD, while the work build uses 16GB of Corsair XMS 3 1333MHz dual channel RAM (4 x 4GB), a Gigabyte Z68XP motherboard, and a Crucial M4. The graphics setup for the home system is dual EVGA Geforce 550s, while the work build uses a Radeon 5830.

Where you'll notice the most difference in any build is the graphics and primary storage device. The biggest bottleneck in almost any system is going to be the primary HD and possibly the graphics card. Honestly upgrading from a 920 to an SB build isn't going to make that much of a difference - in the beginning. What will allow you to see the most improvement is upgrading your primary storage device. Games almost ALWAYS lag on a slow platform drive. Sure, the SSDs offer limited storage capacity, which is why you buy a secondary and store everything on that. Most of the people who are spending hundreds upgrading their X58 systems are going for bragging rights, there's no question about that. I'll be upgrading my X58 system possibly in a year when Ivy Bridge comes out, but with the AMD Bulldozer's overhyped performance issues, I'm taking a wait and see attitude toward future platforms. Maybe when the rumored LGA 2011 (which will kill X58) is out then we'll see.

Where you'd see the most difference is upgrading your video card, increasing the RAM, and adding an SSD. That will be enough to be almost a whole new PC. And as I've said before with other X58 users - add a cooler if you're still using the stock Intel cooler. Then overclock your PC to 3.0GHz or beyond, that will also show huge improvements.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 5:28:41 PM

^+1 Thanks for agreeing with me. And good catch on the SSD, Completely slipped my mind.
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 8:35:42 PM

suteck said:
^+1 Thanks for agreeing with me. And good catch on the SSD, Completely slipped my mind.

I didn't know an SSD was going to make all the difference until I got one myself. Now I know - these things are amazing.

I think I'm done upgrading mine for a while, I might increase the RAM and maybe switch to the i7-960 before Intel discontinues them. But I'm sticking with my X58 system for quite a while.
!