Status
Not open for further replies.

Willasap43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi everyone i want to build a new gaming rig and would like some advice on what parts i should use. I am in Australia so it will be quite expensive, there a 2 local shops and 1 online store that i am going to source my parts from. I already have a CPU cooler but plan to upgrade to water cooling in this build. I don't need keyboard, mouse or monitor.

http://www.ple.com.au/- Local.
http://www.austin.net.au/- Local.
http://pccasegear.com/- Online so cannot ship big or heavy items, case etc.

Here is the list of the parts and i am planning to use:
CPU: Intel 17 2600k $335
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 $179
Graphics: XFX HD6950 2gb $289
Memory: G.SKILL 8GB KIT DDR3 RIPJAWS C9 2000MHZ $159
Optical: LG BLU-RAY 10X WRITER $105
Storage: CORSAIR FORCE 3 60GB $ 125 and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB $129
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D $235 Total: $ 1706
Power Supply: don't know probably about a $150 model with adequate cooling and a choice to upgrade in the future and it needs to be modular
Is there any way to improve this list with out making it more expensive.
Thanks. :)

Solution
Look, dual gfx will give you twice the gaming power while the difference between the i5 and the i7 is not even felt.
The motherboard is fantastic, couldn't recommend a better one tbh.
The case is just a box to me. As long as it hosts all i want (good space between parts so that they dont touch), has all the ventilation i need, ample space for me to fix my cables in a manner that it won't hinder my airflow and it doesn't look hideous i am happy. Such is the case for the Thermaltake MSI Commander. When i OC a system to it's every possible limit i need 2 intakes and 2 exhausts. I usually go for rear and top exhaust along with front and bottom intake. Other than that every other thing is a bonus. Good bonuses are:
Bottom PSU with dust...

drew455

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
having a big case is nice, but i dont think theres really a good reason to have one so expensive. not sure what this costs where you are or if you can get it but this is much cheaper where i am.
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP.

like ScrewySqrl said, get cheaper ram, it wont impact performance much. and there's really no reason to get the i7 2600K when the i5 2500K is more or less the same thing, only without hyperthreading.

Willasap43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I like the HAF cases but i really like the 650D
I also plan to overclock, will i be able to do better overclocking with the i5 or the i7 also i do video/ Photoshop editing so do i need hyper threading for them?

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Save your money from the unneeded extra parts (fast ram, i7, steel case) and invest in more gfx horsepower, bigger ssd and proper cooling.
Namely:
i5 2500k
any low profile 8giga set of ram (1600)
Antec Illusion 300 or Thermaltake MSI Commander
Crucial m4 128 ssd
2x 6950 or 2x590 (the later is costly)
850watt quality psu (in the case of dual gfx setup - 650watt for single gfx without dual prospects)
Corsair A70 (forget about watercooling on a i5. It is noisy and with little benefits over the Corsair A70) if you want more performance and less noise go for Xigmatek Aegir

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Look, dual gfx will give you twice the gaming power while the difference between the i5 and the i7 is not even felt.
The motherboard is fantastic, couldn't recommend a better one tbh.
The case is just a box to me. As long as it hosts all i want (good space between parts so that they dont touch), has all the ventilation i need, ample space for me to fix my cables in a manner that it won't hinder my airflow and it doesn't look hideous i am happy. Such is the case for the Thermaltake MSI Commander. When i OC a system to it's every possible limit i need 2 intakes and 2 exhausts. I usually go for rear and top exhaust along with front and bottom intake. Other than that every other thing is a bonus. Good bonuses are:
Bottom PSU with dust filter there. Thin grills so i can cut them out and install my own grills in order to make it as silent and vibration-less as possible. Tool-less design. Motherboard windows, mainly to tuck cables or run them on the right side as i look at the front of the case. Side grill. (not for mounting fans but just allowing a possible extra intake that the case will do on it's own and not forced. I am not a fan of either negative or positive pressure in the rig because both have their disadvantages, but since mounting dust filters on every intake creates a negative pressure it is best if i can control where the rig will breathe on it's own.)
I have searched a lot and the best bonuses per buck is the Thermaltake MSI Commander hands down. It's cheaper brothers the black v3 and v4 are known for flimsy make and on some occasions the pci-e cards being a little farther than they should in order to bolt down. Nothing terrible but i thought i should mention it.

Right now the Crucial m4 128 is the best bang for buck.

Solution

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
the 900 looks spacious. It doesn't have an separate intake for the PSU so it is an immediate no no for me. Cool air stays low and that is the exact part where the cards will draw their air from. I wouldn't get this one unless you know your way into cutting up a window for it and installing a gril+filter that will clear the psu.
6950 is the lowest i suggest going on gfx, dual or not. I don't see a point in building a new comp for more than 600$ and consider a lesser option.

Look, different things make different people click. For me it is what is on the screen. What is under the hood is also under the table so as long as it gives me performance. If it is made out of diamond or out of plastic, if it is sturdy and has all the features i want it is more than i care about.

Willasap43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I am confused about what case to get, The commander looks like a good choice but I'd rather a case with a big side window and large exhaust fans to keep noise down, could you tell me what you think of the thermaltake chaser ?

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
word to the wise, don't install side window fans. they create turbulances. You NEED it to have some grills so that it inhales on it's own in the case of negative pressure but forcing air through the side is going to create airflow troubles to say the least and noise.

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

I agree I have the HAF 932 and did this with the big fan and found that I cooled slightly better with it off.

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009

It creates turbulences. Imagine a stream of water going from one place to another with the aid of pumps on slight incline. Now imagine you take your showerhead and put it in the middle of that stream. If your rig needs more air it knows where to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.