Sign in with
Your question

[RECOMMEND]Laptop recommendations Approx $500 Canadian

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2011 2:59:36 PM

Hey guys,

Its nearly that time of year again, the season of giving and caring. This Christmas I plan on buying my cousin a laptop for school, I'm looking in the $500(Canadian) range I could probably squeeze that to $600 if its worth it. Basically I have no idea what laptop I should get him so here I am, hoping all you nice people could help a guy out.

I do have a few specifications I have obtained though through some covert and indirect questions, First of a web cam is not a must but its a definite plus, He would prefer a smaller laptop, preferably under 15.6". I bought my sister a 15.6" last Christmas and it was a lot larger than I thought, and heavy. I would also prefer if it had a hdmi out so that we could connect it to our TV. The most he would be doing with this computer would be school work and watching videos, maybe some light gaming as well, think WOW, CS:S, sims 3 that kind of stuff. So if anyone has any recommendations be sure to throw them my way, it would be much appreciated.

I would probably be ordering around the end of November.

taking a quick look would anyone recommend this? HP ProBook 4430s

EDIT: found a few more potential laptops

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge

ASUS U43F-BBA5

ThinkPad SL Series SL410
a b D Laptop
November 16, 2011 10:18:08 AM

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ni14...

Its fast and will make due with most games on low-medium settings. Price is at your absolute max.

Of the three laptops you put down, only the Lenovo is capable of any real gaming. Saddly, it will struggle with games and be barely adequate at the lowest settings possible, and only with older games. The Dell is probably your best bet right now, as I've done some quick research and it will perform not just well due to the i5, but the integrated intel graphics chip is actually capable of handling games at medium settings.

I've searched for other laptops at 15'6" and below in the $600 CAD or below price range, but the Dell was the only one I found that was worth it.

Good luck with your search!
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2011 3:40:40 AM

I'm going to say six to one, half a dozen to the other. The processor on the one you linked is about the same speed, maybe a little slower, than the one I linked (Its an older generation processor. Newer generations perform faster, even with a slightly lower clock speed). The Radeon is slower in some games, faster than others, than Intel's HD 3000.

The specs don't make it very easy to indentify if the HDD in the laptop you linked is 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM... it lists both. You want a 7200 RPM drive.

Anyway, can't go wrong with either one I suppose.
m
l
!