32 ohms vs 150ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric4277

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I don't consider myself to be an audiophile, but I would like a B+/A- level audio experience in my new PC. I would like to know if the difference in a 32ohm headset (vengeance 1300) and a 150 ohm headset (sennheiser pc350) is worth the $100 price difference in sound quality. I will be using either the Asus Phoebus or the Sound Blaster recon3d pcie.

I am primarily looking for great sound quality in my games, but I will be listening to music and watching movies as well. Gaming quality is my priority.

The corsair 1300s are $79 while the pc350s are $179.

Solution
Sennheiser is well know to be the best in headphones
but it is hard to say whether the $100 would be worth it to you
I do know with my sound card I have choices of ohm rating with my headphone
amp and that when I raise the level it makes a difference

if you want the best than Sennheiser is the best
it is tough with audio since it is dependent on the individual since everybody hearing is different
the best thing would be to do a side by side comparison
but that is very hard to do
if you do buy either one than make sure you have the receipt and packaging
and a good return policy in case you change your mind
Sennheiser is well know to be the best in headphones
but it is hard to say whether the $100 would be worth it to you
I do know with my sound card I have choices of ohm rating with my headphone
amp and that when I raise the level it makes a difference

if you want the best than Sennheiser is the best
it is tough with audio since it is dependent on the individual since everybody hearing is different
the best thing would be to do a side by side comparison
but that is very hard to do
if you do buy either one than make sure you have the receipt and packaging
and a good return policy in case you change your mind

Solution
I can tell you from what I have heard the Sennheiser's will be the best. I have a set of HD580's and I love them. They are very comfortable to wear for long periods and have amazing sound. I used to have a set of Nakamichi's and they are just not in the same league.

saint_craig

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
At the end of the day, you need to match your sound card's output requirements to the speaker/headphones.

Some cards/Chip-sets call for 4 ohm impedance some call for 8 some call for more.

The manufacturer, of the headphones and their inherent quality will also come into play. But assuming roughly the same quality, the set that has the impedance closest to the specs of the card will usually sound best.

and again this assumes all other things being equal. frequency range, power handling, etc..

swoz

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Somewhere like Headcase or head-fi would be the best place to ask this.

Generally, the Creative stuff does not have great support and within headphone enthusiast circles the hardware is often scoffed at.

Go ASUS Xonar, and make sure it has an integrated headphone amp for high-impedance cans.

I don't know much about gaming type headphones (i.e. built-in mic) but what I've read is quite mixed. Some have good mics but sub-par drivers, vice versa, or something in between. I don't know if you did already, but you ought to read up about these on forums.

Hope this helps!

Well, I assume you have a soundcard/amp thats capable of driving 250 Ohms?

Yes, typically, a higher impedance is better, for various reasons. But its hard to compare different brands by JUST impedance.

Sennheiser has the best acoustics out of everyone, that is true, but I prefer Beyerdynamic these days, as the Beyerdynamic DT-770 (250 Ohm version) is a significant upgrade over my Sennheiser PC350's. [Especially in Bass/lows].

The guru3d guys are very good in this area; I went to them before I purchased the Beyerdynamic DT-770's, so I recommend heading either there or to hifi.org.

I do like the Asus soundcards better than the Creative nowadays
drivers for Creative can be a problem
I picked up a cheap Asus Xonar DG PCI ($35 free ship)
it has adjustable headphone amp with front port connector (HD or AC97)
also 5.1
much better cards out there than that one
but the Asus drivers and install went very easy and it works well

Status
Not open for further replies.