CPU - Intel i5 2500k

Mobo - ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3)

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

GPU - Asus GTX 570

SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G

HDD - Samsung F3 1tb

PSU - OCZ OCZ750FTY 750W

CPU Cooler - Prolimatech Megahalems

Case - Thermaltake ArmorPlus full tower case. I have the HAF 932 and like it but was looking for something different.

This build is for my brother. He mainly just games on this comp. I have a similar setup and know I like it but it was before the sandybridge stage and was wondering how all of this would still scale.

Going with the gtx 570 because I can't justify 200$ or 400$ for the 580 or 590. I've always had gl with nvidia so I'd like to stick with them.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
Then that makes us brothers since I'm helping you put together the list :bounce:

If he's mostly gaming it probably won't use the extra threads. However, The extra threads now stand for longer future proofing, Most software TODAY doesn't make full use of the hardware. But when it does I don't want to be SOL because I saved $50 or $75. But I'm the guy that bought an i7 965 Extreme Edition instead of the 920, Course, mines' running at a steady 4.5 GHz with 4 cores and 8 threads so no need to upgrade to the sandybridge for me. And the hyperthreading is really the only difference. All the others are things like 3.4GHz instead of 3.3GHz and things like that. But again, me, I would spend the extra change now. Never know when...

akopp21

Jul 21, 2010
Any hard drive is going to be difficult to find at a reasonable price right now. Most of the factories that make hard drives were flooded recently, so there are supply problems right now.

suteck

Distinguished
No need for these bad boy CPU Cooler - Prolimatech Megahalems unless you/he's going to do some serious overclocking. Something like these COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler for $35. And they'll be good for a mild overclock. Don't get me wrong :pt1cable: If he's going to be doing the overclocking then those Prolimatech are going to do him justice. Just make sure you get both fans for the push/pull no matter which one you get and do overclocking with. The $50 you save is halfway to a 2600K, much better cpu including the extra cores.

Will you be my brother???

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

lol didn't say I was buying it for him. Just helping him build the list, but sure. I'll be your brother ;)

Is the price worth going for the 2600? If so then do I have to change boards/memory?

Thanks for all the input thus far.

jonbeas

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010

It isn't worth buying the 2600 if all you are going to do is game and normal tasks. If you do, you don't have to change the mb or memory, but like I said, you don't really need the i7 2600k unless you are going to be doing tasks that are extremely cpu intensive.

I can't get behind a MoBo manufacturer that only offers 2 year warranty.

Corsair low profile Vengeance over the Ripjaws

I'd go for twin 560 Ti's (900Mhz) over the single 570 if ya can swing the extra $100

The Mega will give ya 4-5C over the Hyper 212....the Thermalright Silver Arrow will give ya another 6C
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=674&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=4

Not a fan of the Armor.....Antec DF-85 or 1200V3, Corsair 500R or ....if the dough is there.... Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=767&Itemid=61&limit=1&limitstart=5
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=843&Itemid=61&limit=1&limitstart=6

Nay on the OCZ.....if ya use one of the above Antec cases, the CP-850 has no equal.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=142
It is completely unmatched by any ATX unit on the market I can think of. You'd have to spend twice as much as this thing costs to find the next best thing, performance wise.

Otherwise, Seasonic X Series, Corsair HX series

suteck

Distinguished
Then that makes us brothers since I'm helping you put together the list :bounce:

If he's mostly gaming it probably won't use the extra threads. However, The extra threads now stand for longer future proofing, Most software TODAY doesn't make full use of the hardware. But when it does I don't want to be SOL because I saved $50 or $75. But I'm the guy that bought an i7 965 Extreme Edition instead of the 920, Course, mines' running at a steady 4.5 GHz with 4 cores and 8 threads so no need to upgrade to the sandybridge for me. And the hyperthreading is really the only difference. All the others are things like 3.4GHz instead of 3.3GHz and things like that. But again, me, I would spend the extra change now. Never know when they'll come in handy - or not lol. Mobo, memory, coolers, everything else will all be the same. No need to change any of that if you switch to the 2600K.

Besides, I put together the numbers using the 2600k and the cooler I recommended and it only comes up to $1415.
Now, about that case. 1 of my recent builds had the Thermaltake Armor - not the Plus - full tower case and the cable management is horrible. The plus might be better but I don't know. Don't see any complaints about it in the newegg reviews but I also don't see any praises for it so maybe you might check into that. Maybe you'll like this one - Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case. And it's only $95 after MIR, WHAT $20 shipping, what a rouse lol. Maybe with all the other shipping it'll be cheaper. And it's only half the price of the armor. That brings you back down to ~$1330. Shoot, put the Prolimatech Megahalems back on there and overclock the GHz out of it.
OH don't forget the Arctic Silver CMQ2-25G Céramique 2 Tri-Linear Ceramic Thermal Compound. It's the stuff I use, no metals. I'd hate to get all that stuff and can't put it together because of a $10 forgetmenot.

Solution

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Sounds like to me you've never had a SSD then ;)

I think for the price he will stick with just the 570 though. Thanks for the input.

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Very helpful. Not much explanation but it gives me something else to look at. Thank you!

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

You got it Su! :sol:

I think when I was on here about a year ago configuring my build you helped me out then as well. Always a pleasure.

I hear you on the hyperthreading and future proofing. I will take this into consideration.

Good info on the cable management because that is one thing that really bugs the hell out of me personally.

I use a Megahalems and I love it but I do see other reviews on a few others that are good equals for cheaper price. One of the biggest pro's I have for the Mega is the mounting system because it's not always about the 5 degrees worth of difference necessarily when it comes to rating CPU coolers. Oh, and I always use Artic Silver. Can't beat it!