Chipset Sata Mode Question

nate714

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I'm using an intel Dx58so motherboard with a single SSD and a single storage drive.

My bios has been set to the RAID chipset sata mode because I used to have an SSD and a RAID5 storage array.

My question is, now that i am not running a RAID, is there any benefit to switching over to AHCI or IDE mode? Would my comp post faster in either of the alternative settings?

Solution
Ahci is a subset of raid, in other words if your ssd/hdd is not in a raid, they are in ahci with raid being set. Switching to ahci may help if your pc shows a raid screen when starting. With it off, it shouldn't go to that screen but that is only a second or so. Switching between ide and ahci may cause boot issues where you would then need to change it back.
Ahci is a subset of raid, in other words if your ssd/hdd is not in a raid, they are in ahci with raid being set. Switching to ahci may help if your pc shows a raid screen when starting. With it off, it shouldn't go to that screen but that is only a second or so. Switching between ide and ahci may cause boot issues where you would then need to change it back.

Solution