Solved

Upgrading, where to start?

Hey everybody, first post as a new member and I have a few questions.

A little background on my current setup. My PC is just over 2 years old, only thing I have upgraded is the hard drive. It has handled everything that I have thrown at it, until now. Crysis 2, WoW (on ultra), Call of Duty all run like a dream. I figured Battlefield 3 would be no different, I was wrong. BF just opened my eyes to the fact that games are getting more and more demanding out of your PC. I know it's mainly my graphics card, but I was wondering what else I should be looking into updating. I have a steady job, weekly income, so price ranges arn't a big issue for me. My current specs are:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920(2.66GHz) Quad Core
6GB DDR3
1.5 TB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 512MB
800W Power Supply
Xion Onyx Gaming ATX Case
2x "23 Asus HD LCD Monitors

I'm just looking for where I should start. What's WAY out of date in my system that should be addressed NOW.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading start
  1. Best answer
    The i7-920 is still an excellent CPU, IMO it's one of the best Intel has made in the last few years. I can play BF3 on my PC maxed out no problems. You could look into getting a nice CPU cooler like the Noctua D14 and try overclocking your CPU to 3.2, maybe 3.5GHz.

I'd check the dimensions of your case before buying a huge CPU cooler like that, but maybe a new case like the Corsair Carbide or Cooler Master HAF 932 wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

Definitely upgrade your graphics card, maybe increase your RAM to 3 x 4GB instead of 3 x 2GB (your motherboard should be capable of this - check with Gigabyte just to make sure), but that's about all you need.

For video cards, I'd suggest either an EVGA GTX 570 (which comes with free Batman: Arkham City), or maybe a Sapphire Radeon Flex 6950, both are pretty excellent and comparable cards.

And at some point look at adding an SSD in the future and using your primary HD as your secondary, that will show massive improvements in load times with resource hungry games like BF3.
  2. I'll second this. the only thing it really NEEDS is a better vid card. GTX 560ti/HD 6950 or better.

optionally a 128 GB SSD would be nice too.
  3. I've been looking at video cards over the past few days. I've narrowed it down to a few choices.

EVGA GeForce GTX 560Ti DS SC 1GB -
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1284145&CatId=3669

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 2GB -
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1284238&CatId=3585

MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II/OC 1GB
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7303442&pagenumber=1&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart

How much of a difference is the jump from 850 to 900 core clock? I'm leaning toward the Frozr due to it's low temp.
  4. The EVGA card is excellent. You might also want to consider the Radeon 6950 for the price.
  5. Best answer selected by MrDanger.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems