Aliased text when playing full screen games

Status
Not open for further replies.

p4r4digm

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Greetings, this issue is really driving me up the wall. I got a new graphics card for my rig, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560TI by EVGA and everything seems to be running fine.

I have the computer connected to a 46" Sony Bravia KDL-46EX500 via HDMI and am running at 1920x1080. I have ensured that my graphics drivers are fully up to date, I'm not a computer novice.

The problem comes whenever I try to run any fullscreen games, and I do mean ANY...Morrowind, Oblivion, Bioshock, Starcraft 2, Just Cause 2, CoD4, and countless others. When the game is running in fullscreen mode, all of the graphics become aliased and the text becomes unreadable. Here is an example taken with my cellphone (screencapping wasnt working)
17Ink.jpg

What's odd is if I play the game in windowed mode at the same resolution, this issue is not present, only on fullscreen. And it doesn't matter what resolution. I've tried changing resolution, vsync, sync rate, ive fuddled with all the TV settings. No dice. Another oddity is that if I were to unplug the hdmi cable from the computer and then plug it back in, this fixes the issue, so i guess it resets it or something...but the second you alt tab or shift focus it goes right back to doing it again.

I honestly don;t even know where to start on this one, much help is apreciated.

Solution
Found the solution! Try it, it works!! And it'S not from me so I have no merit...

I had the same problem. Fixed it. In the nVidia control panel, go to "adjust desktop color settings" scroll down, beneath "digital vibrance and hue", you will see a setting that says, "content type reported to display" change it from "auto-select" to "desktop programs." Apply.

It seems to be an issue with the TV choosing the correct refresh rate for PC content. It seems to choose Windows content correctly but chooses poorly when any other program is running the display. This is why games work fine windowed but poorly full screen even at the same resolution and why sometimes vsync and alt+tabbing would fix it.

Payvay

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Found the solution! Try it, it works!! And it'S not from me so I have no merit...

I had the same problem. Fixed it. In the nVidia control panel, go to "adjust desktop color settings" scroll down, beneath "digital vibrance and hue", you will see a setting that says, "content type reported to display" change it from "auto-select" to "desktop programs." Apply.

It seems to be an issue with the TV choosing the correct refresh rate for PC content. It seems to choose Windows content correctly but chooses poorly when any other program is running the display. This is why games work fine windowed but poorly full screen even at the same resolution and why sometimes vsync and alt+tabbing would fix it.

Solution

p4r4digm

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011

Thank you so much!!! this fixed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.