Sign in with
Your question

Help! ASUS P9X79_PRO+I7 3820, not boosting!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
December 4, 2012 3:40:13 PM

I just bought a asus p9X79_pro mother board and a cpu i7-3820 to build a new desktop system, I have connect the 24-pin power supply and the 8-pin supply to the motherboard and only the CPU and RAM, it stucks after I pressed the boot button and the Q-code shows to be 59--CPU micro code is not found and micro code is updated falied.

And then I downloaded the bios converter file from official web, put it into usb(FAT32), and refreshed the bios as what is told on the web, the "BIOS" botton kept blinking about 2 minuted and gone, but no luck when I reboot the motherboard again, the Q-Code still 59. The LED of CPU just blinks once shortly after I pressed the boot button and never came back, and I'm sure that the cpu is obviously heated(carefully by clean hand).

What's more, if I install the bios file correctly, it should accept bios file with .cap format, but it did not, when I put some newer version bios file(the former one I install is said to be 2104.cap after converting) in the usb, it can't read the file, the "BIOS" did not blink, which means the installation did not start.

I used Coolter Master 750W power supply and all the fans components work well.

I am really in a mass and do not know anything to do. Could any nice guy lend me a hand and give me some advises? I will be grateful.
:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2012 5:16:08 PM

Try changing the name from 2104.cap to P9X79PRO.cap, then go through the flashing process again.
m
l
December 4, 2012 5:18:03 PM

cl-scott said:
Try changing the name from 2104.cap to P9X79PRO.cap, then go through the flashing process again.

Sorry, that is exactly what I have done, I used the renamer tool provided by asus official web.~but no luck~
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2012 5:52:53 PM

I ran your post past one of our motherboard people, and his thought was that somehow you got a very old stock of the board that shipped with the initial BIOS revision that didn't support the 3820.

So the first step is to try loading a BIOS on there that is pre-CAP format, but supports the 3820, so that would be BIOS revision 0802 to 1203. Try using the Flashback method to load one of those BIOS revisions on there. Pick any one of those, it doesn't really matter, we just need to try and get the unit to POST.

Assuming you can successfully get the unit to POST using any BIOS revision between 0802 and 1203, then you can go through the CAP conversion process again if you want to update the BIOS to a later revision, or you can decide to just stop there and go about your business.

If you want to go through the CAP conversion process again, then this document may help. In particular pay attention to point 3 at the very bottom, about how the unit will reboot twice.

http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=e...

If all else fails, and you're in the US or Canada, I can get you a new BIOS chip. Otherwise you'll probably have to RMA the board.
m
l
December 4, 2012 6:18:55 PM

cl-scott said:
I ran your post past one of our motherboard people, and his thought was that somehow you got a very old stock of the board that shipped with the initial BIOS revision that didn't support the 3820.

So the first step is to try loading a BIOS on there that is pre-CAP format, but supports the 3820, so that would be BIOS revision 0802 to 1203. Try using the Flashback method to load one of those BIOS revisions on there. Pick any one of those, it doesn't really matter, we just need to try and get the unit to POST.

Assuming you can successfully get the unit to POST using any BIOS revision between 0802 and 1203, then you can go through the CAP conversion process again if you want to update the BIOS to a later revision, or you can decide to just stop there and go about your business.

If you want to go through the CAP conversion process again, then this document may help. In particular pay attention to point 3 at the very bottom, about how the unit will reboot twice.

http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=e...

If all else fails, and you're in the US or Canada, I can get you a new BIOS chip. Otherwise you'll probably have to RMA the board.

Thank you very much for the reply, and you did remind me of a interesting thing that when I install the converter bios file, the system did not reboot twice and the LED just stop blinking after about 3 minutes nothing happened after that~(or I thought it was finished). After that, still only .rom file can be installed and no reaction when installing .cap . And I put 1203 in it, after the LED stop blinking(or finished I thought), I boot the motherboard, but it still stucks at Q-CODE 59~~
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 4:52:24 PM

eaglep91 said:
Thank you very much for the reply, and you did remind me of a interesting thing that when I install the converter bios file, the system did not reboot twice and the LED just stop blinking after about 3 minutes nothing happened after that~(or I thought it was finished). After that, still only .rom file can be installed and no reaction when installing .cap . And I put 1203 in it, after the LED stop blinking(or finished I thought), I boot the motherboard, but it still stucks at Q-CODE 59~~

Sounds like the BIOS chip is, as our motherboard person eloquently put it, "borked". If you're in the US or Canada, I could get you a new BIOS chip if you want to send me an email or PM, I'll collect some particulars you probably don't want to post where everyone can see them, then request the eStore send you a new chip. If you're anywhere else I'm afraid you'll have to send it in for an RMA.
m
l
!