G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1333 or/vs 1666

dotless

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
hi all!

I'm choosing between the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 and the 1600.

price difference is only $5 and i'm thinking of getting 2.
which should i get? what are the benefits?

1) You will probably never see a diff in daily performace, Only if you run a bench mark.
2) If SB, Sandybridge, cpu (iX-2xxxx) recommend going with the DDR3-1333 as DDR3-1600 will void warrantee - Only a concern in the remote chance you have to RMA the CPU
.. For IB, Ivybridge, Cpu (iX-3xxxx) go with the DDR3-1600.
In both cases verify it is 1.5 V DDR3 as Intel's spec is for 1.425 -> 1.575 V for Ram.
3) For Older Intel CPUs such as iX-XXX go with DDR3-1600 (sweet spot) and Ram Voltage can be as hoigh as 1.65 V

For AMD CPU- ???? sorry as I'm not sure but probably the DDR3-1600 would be fine.

PS, I'm using Ripjaw DDR3-1600, CL7, 1.60V in both my i5-2500K (16 Gigs, 4 x 4) and in my i5-750 8 Gigs (4 x 2). They have been great and in use for quite some time.

^ Not what several posts have indicated.
First, I love my Ripjaw DDR3-1600 CL7 @ 1.60 V and have been running them for quite some time and always HIGHLY recommend the ripjaw line.
Only a concern if CPU dies and you go to RMA it.

That said, Depending on who you talk to at Intel (RMA process).
DDR-3-1600 is considered OCed Ram for Sandy Bridge, and invalidates warrantee.
For SB: Ram Specs areDDR3-1333 and RAM Voltage is 1.425 -> 1.500.
Remember the memory controller; starting with Sandybridge is ON DIE, not on MB.
Intel's position apparently is, even if the CPU is Not OCed, running RAM above the spec (1333) is still considered Overclocking. It seems they have looked at some returned defective CPUs and come up with the problem being associated with ram run above 1333. The “overclocking” warrantee covers both CPU speed and Ram speed, if you exceed the 1.5V for Vcore – On a ONE time bases (Cost is either $20 or $25 for the i5-2500K).
Voltage is easily understood, but Ram Freq and the effects are not so apparent. My rational, as frequency increases, impedance (Z) for a reactive circuit goes down. Therefore Current inside the On-Die memory controller goes up (I= V/Z)

NOTE: Does NOT apply to Ivybridge (IV) as spec was raised to DDR3-1600 (still 1.500 ± 5%

Added:
A little more on 1333 vs 1600
Must first state that there is very little differenc in performance, in fact most would not be able to tell the difference in daily usage.
My main reason for selecting DDR3 (ripjaw DDR3-1600 CL7 @1.60 V), First bought for Overclocked i5-750 (memory controller on MB):
1) Looked like the best Ram out there.
2) Selected DDR3-1600 over DDR3-1333, Because I could run it in syncrohnous mode (vs Asynschronous Mode). That is I could set the Base FSB to 200 MHz (CPU multiplier to 16 for 3.2 GHz) and the Memory Multiplier to 2 (400 MHz - 400 x 2 x 2 = 1600) which means all pulses line-up. This is not true when when Ram multiplier is not a whole number.

I bought a i5-2500k, and since I considered the Ripjaws an excellent product also bought the same RAM for it. It was NOT until 6 -> 12 Months downstream that the issue of RAM frequency surfaced (Jan of 2012).

Will see if I can find the post.
OK found it:
I've just completed the first step of an RMA of my i7-2600K. It's been a long troubleshooting process, and I actually think the Asus P8P67 Pro died and took out the processor as it went.

I wanted to pass along a few things I have learned along the way, one of them very important to everyone here.

1. Intel does not ask you if you overclocked your K series processor. They DO ask if you overclocked the memory! Intel processors are designed to operate the memory at 1066MHZ or 1333MHZ ONLY. The minute you run that memory at anything higher, you void the warranty.
Since this is the official stance from Intel, it would be prudent to let people know up front when you recommend higher clocked memory what the rules are. Most or all memory will default to 1333MHZ initially for this reason.
We all know that memory speeds play a very tiny role in overall performance anyway. Those who feel compelled to complete honesty in any future RMA process would be well advised to refrain from higher memory clocks.

2. Intel wants complete troubleshooting steps. If you are sending them a CPU they expect that you have proven that the CPU is defective. In my case that meant either paying a shop or buying another CPU. I bought an i3-2120 so that I could swap it out and prove that the i7 was indeed fried.

3. Do not throw away your stock fan. They want it back, and will ask for the numbers off of it.
END QUOTE
Ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=333313&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

BOTTOM Line: gskill support, Does that mean G-Skill will cover a SB Processor if Intel denies RMA if Only reason was Ram was DDR3-1600 and CPU WAS NOT OCed. G-Skill Ram ofcoarse - LOLs

No, but if DDR3-1600+ memory is configured properly in BIOS/EFI, there should be no issue in the first place. We test thousands of systems each year, not one CPU has failed because it was set to DDR3-1600.

Keep in mind memory is standardized. All DDR3 modules can only boot up to DDR3-1600 CL11 or DDR3-1333 CL9. So even if DDR3-2400 is purchased, it will boot up as DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 (depending on CPU and motherboard). To enable the performance values of RAM, manual settings are required, or enabling of the enhanced performance profile such as XMP/DOCP/EOCP. Without making these changes, the memory will perform just the same as any standard plug and play RAM that is within standard for Intel specifications. Everything with RAM is manual, it is not like a graphics card that comes "pre-overclocked" from factory. This is where many people are confused, there are those that think memory should just default to performance values like DDR3-2400 automagically because they have no experience with performance RAM or overclocking, and then those that think memory will default to performance values and damage the CPU. Different concerns, both incorrect and common misconceptions.

Furthermore, if you contact any hardware manufacturer for RMA saying you could have damaged their product due to user error, I'm sure they would try to reject RMA as they are not at fault.

Higher frequency RAM benefits those who overclock CPU. So if one's goal is to overclock and build a performance system, DDR3-1600+ is the type of memory to get. If one does not plan to overclock, or just wants a plug and play system, DDR3-1333 is best.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

"saying you could have damaged their product due to user error"
Now who would say that, But in the one post, it was the Intel rep that asked what memory speed was used - If DDR3-1600 was used and set to that speed then the ans would be either truefull or a lie.

I do agree with what you have said, in that for SB CPU Overclocked ram (and that is what DDR3-1600 is for SB) that it will boot to DDR3-1333 in SB and to DDR3-1600 in an IB system.

As to the performance boost, not sure will have to do some independent research as there are some reviews out that show there is very little diff in performance, But not sure if they used a OCed CPU.

Again - I am using DDR3-1600 @ 1600 w/1.60 V and have been for around a year - NO problems and I'm only articulating what Intel's position is, or apears to be as people should be aware of that when making a purchase decision.