Defaulting Windows Media Player

August 7, 2004 2:43:01 PM

Dear sir/madam...

im using windows media player 9.0 (WMP) in win xp pro
SP1, RC2.

i just cant dafaulting the WMP to play any music.
Everytime i click the music file (e.g. mp3) from win
explorer, the same pop-up asking for which software to
use to open the mp3 file. Eventhough i already defaulted
WMP to play mp3 files, it wont remember. The same pop-up
appear again and again asking for which software to open.

At the moment i only have WMP in my PC. i dont have other
player yet.

Pls help. thank you
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 4:41:37 AM

Try these..........

Open WMP | Tools | Options | File Types tab |
Select All button | Apply | OK

[[If a selected check box is dimmed, Windows Media Player has only partial
ownership of the file type. Multiple file extensions are assigned to the
file type, but the Player only plays some of those extensions by default. To
give the Player full ownership of a file type, double-click the dimmed check
box.
Windows Media Player will attempt to be the default player for the selected
file types. ]]
-----

Right click an MP3 file | Properties | Opens with: |
Click the change button | Scroll down to WMP | If
it isn't listed | Click the Browse button | Browse to:
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
Once found |Click OK Click Apply | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:200a01c47ca5$fc15ed40$a601280a@phx.gbl,
RAJ <straj@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Dear sir/madam...
>
> im using windows media player 9.0 (WMP) in win xp pro
> SP1, RC2.
>
> i just cant dafaulting the WMP to play any music.
> Everytime i click the music file (e.g. mp3) from win
> explorer, the same pop-up asking for which software to
> use to open the mp3 file. Eventhough i already defaulted
> WMP to play mp3 files, it wont remember. The same pop-up
> appear again and again asking for which software to open.
>
> At the moment i only have WMP in my PC. i dont have other
> player yet.
>
> Pls help. thank you
August 10, 2004 11:06:46 PM

Thanx for the guide. But whatever u said has been done
previously. I already select all the files in WMP file
type in option menu.
and even when i go to the property of my MP3 files, it
shows WMP as the default player.
For your information, only mp3 files cannot be play in
WMP by default. Everytime when i double click mp3 files,
it show which program to open. and eventhough i choose
WMP and click check box to make it default, it wont play
automatically the next time i click.

So now when i want to hear mp3 music, i need to do
additional step which is choosing which music to play.
But other files like .DAT, MPEG, MPG can be played like
normal.

need your help. thanx

!