HELP: Fix corrupted JPG after import

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2005 2:57:59 PM

Hello everyone,

This is to all those super-genius out there who may be able to assist
me in fixing a nasty problem that I got myself into while importing
images from a mediacard.

Background
It all started after I put my laptop in to sleep mode after I
successfully imported and deleted pictures from my compactFlash card
(using jpeg catalog application).

While the laptop was in sleep mode I ejected the CF card and began
using it for my next day of shooting. All was working fine. Then I
reinserted the card into laptop, brought it out of sleep mode and began
importing pictures.

Here is the problem...the first 14 pictures cannot be read (there are
no errors or anything) whereas the rest of the pictures are fine.
After looking around on the Internet I have come to the following
conclusions:

1. Since I did the sleep thing and imported from the CF card without
refreshing the File allocation table (FAT) somehow the program (iView
mediaPro) trashed the first 14 photos on the import.

2. I think that the files where imported but they are all scrambled.

3. I have searched and tied various jpeg fixers with no luck.

If anyone know what I can do it would be appeicated.

Thanks,
Dave
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2005 4:14:12 PM

"DigitalWok" <davidjungpa@hotmail.com> writes:
> If anyone know what I can do it would be appeicated.

Try running a file recovery utility on the CF card. Whatever you do,
don't record anything new on the card til you've tried that.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2005 6:12:41 PM

DigitalWok wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> This is to all those super-genius out there who may be able to assist
> me in fixing a nasty problem that I got myself into while importing
> images from a mediacard.
>
> Background
> It all started after I put my laptop in to sleep mode after I
> successfully imported and deleted pictures from my compactFlash card
> (using jpeg catalog application).
>
> While the laptop was in sleep mode I ejected the CF card and began
> using it for my next day of shooting. All was working fine. Then I
> reinserted the card into laptop, brought it out of sleep mode and began
> importing pictures.
>
> Here is the problem...the first 14 pictures cannot be read (there are
> no errors or anything) whereas the rest of the pictures are fine.
> After looking around on the Internet I have come to the following
> conclusions:
>
> 1. Since I did the sleep thing and imported from the CF card without
> refreshing the File allocation table (FAT) somehow the program (iView
> mediaPro) trashed the first 14 photos on the import.
>
> 2. I think that the files where imported but they are all scrambled.
>
> 3. I have searched and tied various jpeg fixers with no luck.
>
> If anyone know what I can do it would be appeicated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Ok. First, DON'T go to sleep mode until everything stops.
Second, find out how to turn off write caching for the card reader's
input drive number.
Third, get a program to recover deleted files from flash cards, and
pray, a lot.
Fourth, don't plug in anything while a computer is coming out of sleep
mode, or unplug either. Plug it in BEFORE coming out of sleep mode.

Sadly, your pictures are probably gone, irretrievably. In the future,
ALWAYS check the pictures to make sure they transfered to the HD
correctly before unplugging the card, or at least before reusing it.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
!