OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD (games drive)
500GB sata (storage drive)
Gigabyte Z68 XP-UD3P mobo
i5 2500K CPU
Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
MSI GTX 580 1.5GB graphics
Corsair TX750 psu
Thermalright Ultra 120 CPU cooler

Anyways, I just wanted to question my CPU temps. Its overclocked to 4.2ghz (from 3.3ghz) and runs at about 30deg whilst playing BF3 (ultra settings, 1920x1200), but at idle it actually cools down to about 4-6deg.

Never seen a processor so cool, wondered if for some reason that might be a problem?

Thanks guys,
CobbZ

Your hardware monitor software may not be accurate. But I doubt you have a problem. You can gently touch the heatsink to see how warm it is after you power down. It shouldn't burn your finger.

CobbZ

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Ok, it does show accurate readings at all other times, just when I left the PC for about an hour.

My case does cool down the whole room to be fair...

I use speedfan for temps. I will check alternatives, cheers!

Before my former gigabyte board went on the loop (no pun intended) I found that GB's hardware monitoring software is rather iffy to say the least, I was getting sub 20*C readings at idle on a Zalmans cNPS 11X, on my MSI board it give 28-34*C around idle and anywhere from 50-60*C at load. I have stopped using HWmonitor and others because they are far less accurate than the thermal and voltage readings suplied by the software from the manufacturer.

Take this HWmonitor 8.56v @ 12v, Speedfan 10.56v @ 12v, MSI control centre 11.898v @ 12v and manually testing on the multimeter checkpoints 12v = 11.92~12.1v @ 12v......In short software sucks.

Run prime 95 for an hour and use realtemp or hw monitor, speed fan doesn't give good readings....anyways what cooler? How cold is it where you live? There is no way that it can be that low...

CobbZ

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah, under load all cores go up to about 40-45deg. And whilst browsing the net, or skyping or whatever, it runs at about 15-20 degrees.

But just for some reason, when PC is left a while, it drops that low. Mental, but hey.

Cheers for the replies guys, although no one has actually said;

Lets just say the temps are accurate... can I CPU be damaged by such low temps?

TRENDING THREADS