Sign in with
Your question

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 with I7 2600k

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2012 8:58:12 PM

Hi,

I've just recently built a system on the Asus P8Z68-V PRO Socket 1155 Motherboard with an Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor. I'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 cooler for the CPU but I'm concerned that the idle CPU temperature is running too hot. The BIOS reports the idle temperature at around 50c. I’ve not yet installed a system until I’m sure that it’s safe to do so.

I guess that I may have to refit the cooler again if this is way above the average temperature?

Any information will be much appreciated and if any other guys out there that are using the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 on an i7-2600K can give me some average temp figures that'll be cool.

Cheers,
Chris
a c 184 à CPUs
February 1, 2012 10:40:44 PM

Bios temps are always higher. Use a software such as hwmonitor.
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 11:29:20 PM

amuffin said:
Bios temps are always higher. Use a software such as hwmonitor.

Agreed. My BIOS will report 40-45'C and everything else says 30'C.

I think it may have something to do with the CPU running full bore at 3.4GHz prior to booting, but this is just a theory. It would be interesting to find out during the boot up process the power saving stuff loads/is implemented to see if I'm right or not.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 12:20:35 AM

CPU is not throttled in BIOS, thus the higher temps.
February 2, 2012 9:09:19 AM

So I guess it's best to install Windows 7 and get an accurate CPU temperature reading with the operating system running?
February 2, 2012 10:12:47 AM

The same is true on my P67 board. I believe that Windows 7 runs the CPU with power management features that a bios cannot do.

Your board should be fine.
February 3, 2012 7:11:47 AM

I've Installed the system and Real Temp reports all four core's averaging between 29c - 33c :) 

I guess there is nothing to worry about and the BIOS is reporting inaccurate temperatures.

Thanks for the info guys.
a c 88 à CPUs
February 3, 2012 7:37:59 AM

it depends on the board what bios temps will be reported. some bios's report temps higher because they deliberately put 70% percent cpu usage to give an idea of actual running temps... while others dont and you get low idle temps...
really it depends on the motherboard manufacturer. its not something you should normally worry about as long as there within spec...
!