I need to pick a PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I ordered a barebones kit and a good GPU, now i just need to pick a good PSU to work with the GPU.

Barebones kit:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1355273&CatId=333

GPU:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1288240&CatId=3669

so the GPU recommends a 550w PSU. I think i need a bigger one. I plan on SLIing in the future, and also, i want to make sure that there is no risk of it crashing, so i need a good PSU. but also, i want to spend as less money as possible. Which PSU should i get, and what would be the best deal for it?

Solution

1000 watts? Are you serious? Come on, Brett. I though you were the one who manage a company that built computers for a living?
It's either you are flaming & I fell for it or you really don't know what you are talking about. But you are right about Corsair being a good brand, though.

To OP:
Better save up & get a 750W corsair for good measure. It can handle SLI or CF Easily with room for overclocking your CPU & GPU. It is a pain to buy a 500W PSU now then decide you want to go SLI or CF down the line & need to buy a PSU again.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
You need a unit with at least two PCIe 6-pin connectors, and a combined 18.25a The card itself uses 219w so you will need something that has enough spare room for all of your other components. For a typical system 250W is more than sufficient for all the other components. The sweet spot of efficiency is 50% capacity of the psu, however under 20% and your efficiency drops off dramatically. You probably don't need anything more than a 750 to run 2 GTX 570's in SLI mode. For only one can anything 500 w or above is probably fine.

Underpowered units are generally much worse to have than over powered units, so W creep usually sets in to recommendations. The card company tacks on 50W more than needed "just to be safe". The calculators tack on another 50W just to be safe, then when people make recommendations they tend to tack on 50-100W just to be safe.

Anyway...

This is a good unit for a good deal right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

eta: I missed the sli part first pass at this thread. You do probably want something a step up from 500 for SLI. 750 seems to be a good SLI number to hit. Plenty of room to Overclock even with most cards.

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

randomkid

Distinguished

1000 watts? Are you serious? Come on, Brett. I though you were the one who manage a company that built computers for a living?
It's either you are flaming & I fell for it or you really don't know what you are talking about. But you are right about Corsair being a good brand, though.

To OP:
Better save up & get a 750W corsair for good measure. It can handle SLI or CF Easily with room for overclocking your CPU & GPU. It is a pain to buy a 500W PSU now then decide you want to go SLI or CF down the line & need to buy a PSU again.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.