Building a System for a friend

The77s

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Hey.

Okay, since Battlefield 3 has came out, a lot of my friends have bought it, and one of my friends, Alan, bought it too, but his current GPU is a ATI which doesn't support DX10.1/DX11, which is what Battlefield 3 requires, I also doubt the rest of his PC would be up to running it anyway, I imagine it could with a card that supports DX10.1, but with huge framerate issues and such.

He asked me to look out a GPU for him, but his current Motherboard is a Dell 0TP406, X38 Chipset, PCI-Express x16, and I'm not sure if many cards would work on the Current Motherboard he has.

So I went on Dabs and (without telling him) I've been looking up a new PC for him, that will run BF3 and will be cost effective.

The current things I have are these:

Asus AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 DDR3 ATX -
Motherboard

1003BS Mid-Tower Black 500W PSU -
Tower/PSU

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz Black Edition -
CPU

Gigabyte ATI Radeon 6850 820MHz 1GB -
GPU

Corsair Memory 4GB (2 x 2GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz -
RAM

That comes to £294 (+ Postage I would add maybe £20?)

I know that the RAM and CPU would work with that Motherboard, but I'm not too sure about the GPU, I imagine it would, just because most Motherboards do (I think) but I wanted to double check, so I came and asked the posters at TomsHardware, who have helped me before.

Anyhow, sorry for the long read, and thanks for any help/suggestions you can give, I appreciate it.