Do I need a dedicated physX card?

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hey all!

I just finished a new build in may and as a gift from a friend I got a 140$ gift card to a computer store. My build is as follows:

MSI P67A-GD80 MOBO
Intel i5-2500k CPU
2 x 4GB Patriot S5 RAM
Corsair TX 750W PSU
Sapphire 6950 2GB GPU
Noctua C-14 CPU Cooler

I occasionally overclock the GPU depending on the game, i can easily go to 860 on the core while stable but haven't bothered going further.

My only reason for posting this is simple. I have an AMD video card. Should I use this extra money to buy a dedicated PhysX card (and if so why and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated)?

Thanks!

You might want to visit the Nvidia web site to see if you can mix and max AMD and Nvidia. I know the Nvidia web site has a registry hack called "coolbits" for cards that don't have the same spec's to be used in sli and that does work because I tried it with two Evga cards. Just type in coolbits in the search box and see what comes up about what you want to do. You might end up just getting another AMD card and doing crossfire.

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i actually just bought a lycosa/deatheradder combo. and i also remembered that i have my old 9600GT sitting in an anti-static bag 5 feet from my PC. do you think it is worth it to install and configure the system using the instructions outlined here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-physx-hack-amd-radeon,review-32051-6.html

i have 2 games that i am pretty sure run Physx, mass effect and just cause 2. i've read that games that do use physics have large improvements when a dedicated card is used.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Mass Effects don't benefit from hardware PhysX, AFAIK. Just Cause 2 (great game, btw) should, and since it's quite consumptive, dedicated PhysX should lighten the load on the CPU. Also, get Mafia 2... it uses PhysX and is a great game :)

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
thanks i am thinking that since it won't cost me anything that i am going to try using the 9600GT as a dedicated physics card. also, i have a 120GB agility 3 SSD i just didn't post it in OP because it wasn't relevant to graphics info!