Sign in with
Your question

Gtx570sli or 6970 2gbcrossifre to play bf3 on 3 monitors

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2011 10:18:42 PM

gtx570sli or 6970 2gbcrossifre to play bf3 on 3 monitors?

Im really tossed on this one. Prices are comprable, fps goes to amd but driver issues etc I think the 570s work better and have more eyecandy in game..

It seems there both going to be able to be played with 3 monitors easly since I have three identical 24" monitors.

What ya think?
November 1, 2011 10:35:13 PM

Toss a Coin and decide.
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2011 3:53:05 AM

no 6970's will handle the higher res and eyecandy better. 6970's for sure because of their extra VRAM (2gb>1.25gb).
Related resources
November 2, 2011 4:17:21 AM

You definitely want the extra VRAM on 3 monitors. At 1080p with the Ultra preset, BF3 often eats 1400+ mb on my 1.5gb gtx 580.
November 2, 2011 10:36:27 AM

6970's will definitively be a better choice once the driver issues have been sorted out, hopefully that will be soon.
November 2, 2011 10:46:40 AM

Did you guys download the latest driver that went out 10/31/2011
After versions of beta tests AMD release today the WHQL version of the AMD Catalyst V11.10 for it's graphic chipsets products, with lot of improvement and fixes and including latest AMD Catalyst Control Center / AMD Vision Engine Control Center, down features add:

•Reduces random crashing and stability encountered when playing Rage on Windows® 7 32-bit edition
•Reduces object / animation flickering and texture corruption encountered when playing Rage
•Reduces stuttering seen on Dual CPU and Tri CPU core systems
•Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
•Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on AMD CrossFire™ configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
•Improves performance in Rage on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series and AMD Radeon HD 4000 series of products.
•Reduces intermittent crashing seen loading levels in Rage
•Reduces flickering of NPCs in Rage
•Enables automatic Vsync for Rage
•Enables support for AMD Eyefinity 5x1 display (portrait and landscape) configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
•AMD Vision Engine Control Center: User Interface enhancements have been implemented for the AMD CrossfireX™, GPU AMD Overdrive™ and Information Center pages
November 2, 2011 10:47:48 AM

I just read that again and noticed i said Battlefield 3 Open Beta release, not the real game huh? bummer.
November 2, 2011 1:57:53 PM

GTX570 AND 6970. . . . . .
Both are great cards but if you choose the gtx 570 sli you will achive best performance card
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2011 1:40:43 AM

assassin123 said:
GTX570 AND 6970. . . . . .
Both are great cards but if you choose the gtx 570 sli you will achive best performance card

maybe at 1080p but this guy want to run a tri monitor setup. drivers for amd are better and it has extra VRAM which gives the 6970 an edge for what he is doing.
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2011 2:07:43 AM

Quote:
drivers for AMD are not better....

overall charts:
GTX 570 vs HD 6970
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/292?vs=306

had to substitute the GTX 480 SLi in place of the GTX 570 SLi, the GTX 570 SLi is a few frames better..
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/298?vs=310

drivers for eyefinty are better than drivers for nvidia surround. i thought this was a known fact.

edit: also i am pretty sure that the 480 is a little bit stronger than the 570.
looks about dead even- http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/309?vs=306
why would 480 sli be a few framerates worse than 570 sli?
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2011 2:25:43 AM

ok with that logic, amd has had eyefinity for longer than nvidia has had their nvidia surround if my research is correct, so wouldnt amd have better drivers than nvidia?
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2011 2:38:11 AM

Quote:
The biggest advantage of AMD Eyefinity is that it can be activated on virtually any of the currently available graphics cards. However, you will need to purchase an additional active DisplayPort adapter, which are quite expensive.

The alternative approach is a bit more stable in terms of video driver performance and doesn’t require additional expensive connectors. However, Nvidia’s solution can support 2+ monitors only if the system features two GPUs inside. In this case your options are a very expensive GeForce GTX 590 or a massive SLI configuration, which requires an SLI-ready mainboard.

Whichever setup you are going to choose, be ready to spend a little on top anyway. In return, you will most definitely be blown away by the superb gaming experience. Unlike 3D installations, in this case you won’t suffer from tired eye muscles or migraines.

ok an active display port adapter 25$ last time i checked. not exactly breaking the bank.- http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=AT-DP_DVI&c=fr&pi...

again you cannot get over the fact that more vram helps at higher resolutions and no one can argue otherwise. 395$ for a 570 2.5gb vs 335$ for a 6970 2gb- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite... . amd has been in the game longer with eyefinity and i believe in the logic you believe in with drivers- they get better over time. that is why the 6970 2gb is an overall smarter choice.
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2011 2:51:38 AM

great you can spend 5 more dollars and get this card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 3 fans= better cooling and quieter overall

so 25$ for the adapter and 10$ over 2 cards and you get a cool quiet, and a setup that will play at 5670x1080 reasonably well for less than 2 570 2.5gb cards.
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2011 3:01:19 AM

Quote:
It's still a bad option right now.
I would rather pay for 2 570 2.5gb's than have major driver issues...

OMG! i thought we went over this! AMD has had eyefinity for longer and with your logic about drivers-they get better over time-that would mean AMD has better drivers for eyefinity.

if you are arguing about scaling you might want to look at this- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way... -looks like AMD 6xxx cards scale better than nvidia 5xx cards.

goodness these fanboys are persistent. dont worry im not an amd fanboy (i have a gtx 560 ti), i just follow the facts.
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2011 3:12:39 AM

Quote:
active display port adapters and the bad drivers cause mouse cursor corruption when panning across all screens multiple times and from coming out of sleep mode and/or screensaver.
gigabyte cards have the most RMA's and most issues out there just check the specific forums as well as feedback on newegg..
sure most of the time they (gigabyte) have a very high clocked facto card but no thanks if there's a 50/50 chance it will have issues.

well the gigabyte card i posted does not have a factory oc. ive read it is just the dp adapter that causes the corruption, not the drivers. read this- http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1...
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2011 3:16:30 AM

Quote:
Scaling no....
I am talking about stuttering/ driver stopped working problem/ CCC not installing/ lower performance with 2 gpu's than 1/ corruption in BFBC2 with textures missing.
My old name was AMD655 and i changed from that because i was apparently an "AMD fanboy" do us a favour and get a clue.

really? that happens with my nvidia card too. ive been getting a display driver not working at least 5 times a week. as for "lower performance with 2 gpu's than 1" please i would love to see some stats on that so i can "get a clue".

edit: if you are wondering yes i have all the new drivers.
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2011 3:28:23 AM

you are going to have issues with almost every gpu you have!
6990 just has a bunch of problems as it is. it is new and there isnt much support for it. same with the 590. i wouldnt suggest either of those cards. should have done him a favor and helped him out with his gpu selection.
November 12, 2011 11:56:11 PM

Well I just ordered 2 Sapphires 6970 BF3 edition cards. So I will post up soon enough on if I made a good choice or not.

Thanks all for your help.
November 12, 2011 11:57:15 PM

Best answer selected by dudeguzman.
!