Upgrade to Core 2 Quad question

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon_c993

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade my gaming experience and need some help. I originally was going to build up a brand new rig, but decided I may not need to. That is where you guys come into play :)

Currently I am running this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188017

Now I am wondering if I were to upgrade to a core 2 quad if it would be a worthy upgrade for current gen gaming. I am running a core 2 duo E6550 right now and I have a feeling that just won't cut it. So do you think if I picked up a core 2 quad it would appease my needs for a couple years? Or should I just green light the new rig build?

Solution
I agree with amuffin.

The Core 2 line of chips will really not suffice for gaming much these days and especally not for the next few years. It might be able to hold you for a bit if you're playing games that are a bit older, but overall those are just weak chips these days.

CDdude55

Distinguished
I agree with amuffin.

The Core 2 line of chips will really not suffice for gaming much these days and especally not for the next few years. It might be able to hold you for a bit if you're playing games that are a bit older, but overall those are just weak chips these days.

Solution

brandon_c993

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Ok sense it seems obvious that I need a new rig how about I run my new rig plans by everyone?

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 460
Memory: 8GB of DDR3 1600
Haven't decided on a motherboard yet but know I want one with Z68 chipset and is DDR3 1600 compatible

Any insight into the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.