Late 2011 Custom PC Build

bowlsworth

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: Around $1,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, downloading movies, surfing web

Parts Not Required: mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, Newegg

Parts Preferences: Mostly compatible with the i5 2500k

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, possibly in the future, can't afford two atm.

Monitor Resolution: Unsure

Additional Comments: I've had a gaming laptop for the past 4 years and feel like its time for an upgrade. I originally planned on getting the i7 2600k but keep reading that the i5 2500k does not differ much in gaming performances. My budget is a thousand and this build hits just under it. In the future I look to upgrade this to full SLI and get a 120gb SSD as well. My question is are all these parts going to be compatible with another? I hear that in building your own PC you run into a lot of problems such as having the wrong watt or motherboard in general.

Parts list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA115
MOBO:ASUS P8P67 LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 ATX DDR3 2400 Motherboards P8P67 PRO <REV 3.1>
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply CMPSU-750TXV2
HDD:Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA 3 Gb/s 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive
DVD Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS Internal 24x CD/DVD Drive
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Black Mid-Tower Case

Solution
Good choice of parts. No issues really. However, don't get the Superclocked GTX 560 Ti if it costs more Also, make sure it has Lifetime warranty (some don't such as the TR models; I believe the AR and KR have Lifetime). Get an AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 as for MoBo instead (about $125, Z68, supports, Ivy Bridge, and also has 2 PCI-E 3.0 slots). Go for a HAF 912. it's about $20 to $30 cheaper than the 922M and offers a nice amount of space. It just doesn't have the colorful fans. If you have any extra money left over, try to invest in at least a 800W PSU since you have a high-end build and plan on GTX 560 Ti SLI (and OCing probably).

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Good choice of parts. No issues really. However, don't get the Superclocked GTX 560 Ti if it costs more Also, make sure it has Lifetime warranty (some don't such as the TR models; I believe the AR and KR have Lifetime). Get an AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 as for MoBo instead (about $125, Z68, supports, Ivy Bridge, and also has 2 PCI-E 3.0 slots). Go for a HAF 912. it's about $20 to $30 cheaper than the 922M and offers a nice amount of space. It just doesn't have the colorful fans. If you have any extra money left over, try to invest in at least a 800W PSU since you have a high-end build and plan on GTX 560 Ti SLI (and OCing probably).

Solution

bowlsworth

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
The Superclocked was only a couple bucks more and is an AR with lifetime warranty. As for the motherboard I thought the ASUS P8P67 LGA was suitable for this build but perhaps I should switch to a z68? I am looking to overclock and upgrade to SLI in the future. As for the case, I already purchased the 922M and yes it was mostly due to the cool lights and fans over the 912. Lastly, would the 750W PSU not be enough to support the future upgrades? I've seen some similar builds using 650W even.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
The ASUS is fine, but there are better offers (the AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 being Z68, has 2 PCI-E 3.0 slots, and much more). Well, 750W can technically support a pair of 560 Tis, but if you plan on OCing and running multiple high-end GPUs, you will be drawing a lot of power. You won't have enough headroom for your PSU. Stress on your PSU will decrease it's performance and lifespan. If you plan on sticking with one GPU, then it's fine. If you will add a second, then you will need more power.