New Platform or new GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I've posted but I am having a bit of a dilemma. This is my current setup

CPU: Q6600 @2.8 (can go a little higher) w/arctic cooler 7
MOBO: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
RAM: Generic 4gig
GPU: 8800 GTX
HDD: 500 gig SATA
Case: HAF 932
PSU - Corsair <professional?> 850

I am looking to build a new gaming rig (nothing cutting edge) and am unsure if I should purchase a new GPU that is top of the line (or close), keeping my current stuff until I come into more money to upgrade to a 2500k and comparable mobo setup.

OR

should I purchase the new mobo and chip (as well as ram, etc...) and keep the 8800 GTX (OC it) until the price on the newer cards come down? I am looking at a 570 or 580 gtx gpu.

I do worry about bottle necking a newer GPU on my old rig, but I should come into some more cash in May-June to update the rest.

BUT...knowing that the newer GPU's will be coming out in that time could drop the price of the ones that I am looking at.

I am leaning toward waiting on the GPU, but to me it seems silly to upgrade all this stuff and still use a dated GPU. Of course a counter to that would be why but an awesome GPU that will be limited with my current set up!

HELP!

Solution
I'd get the GPU first, rest later. The GPU will do more for the money, already. Also waiting for Ivy Bridge in a few month is probably helping the decision. :)

A bottleneck only means that something is not used to it's full potential, it doesn't slow your system down. Just not pushing one or more fast components to the theoretical performance limit.

It will even out, once you get the CPU department in line. While a CPU first wouldn't improve gaming performance by much, if anything.
Hello jrgleason2003;

Have you set an overall budget target yet? What's your target monitor resolution?

My suggestion is get the graphics card now and enjoy the improved gaming performance.
Sure, it's not going to be able to fully stretch it's legs with the Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz (*hint) but it's going to get you some pretty impressive gaming improvement to hold you over a few extra months.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I'd get the GPU first, rest later. The GPU will do more for the money, already. Also waiting for Ivy Bridge in a few month is probably helping the decision. :)

A bottleneck only means that something is not used to it's full potential, it doesn't slow your system down. Just not pushing one or more fast components to the theoretical performance limit.

It will even out, once you get the CPU department in line. While a CPU first wouldn't improve gaming performance by much, if anything.

Solution

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

I am only running a 1680x1050 monitor right now, but I do not plan on having this thing forever, so I will assume I'll need a card with that can handle the highest resolution currently (no 3d or anything)

Oh, my budget is no more than 1000 for Mobo, CPU/Cooler, GPU, Ram, and monitor (but that is low on my list currently)...I already have the rest of what I need

Status
Not open for further replies.