Sign in with
Your question

Slow performance due to CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2012 12:53:07 AM

Hello,

I built my computer last month and can run games very well. However I noticed some freezing when opening programs like firefox or taking a long time to load or cant click anything on my screen for a couple of seconds.

Here are my specs:

8GB RAM DDR3 1600
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB Sata 6 7200RPM
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
HD Radeon 6870 1GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Could the slow performance be caused by my CPU or HDD? and if it's a HDD problem, would upgrading to a Caviar black help?
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 1:00:55 AM

Sounds like a software problem to me. You might want to wait until one of the more IT savvy forum members can help you diagnose the problem though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 1:32:17 AM

Sounds like a full hdd to me.
Either free up some space or get another hdd for storage if thats the case
the cpu is not restraining.you. The 2500k is phenomenal. The hdd is fast enough as long as there is enough space.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2012 1:37:28 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
Sounds like a full hdd to me.
Either free up some space or get another hdd for storage if thats the case
the cpu is not restraining.you. The 2500k is phenomenal. The hdd is fast enough as long as there is enough space.

Well all i really have is skype, battlefield 3 and GTA. No mods or anything. I hardly download stuff lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 2:21:15 AM

What is your CPU and Memory usage when the lag spikes occur?
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
February 2, 2012 2:33:41 AM

nickazzo123 said:
Well all i really have is skype, battlefield 3 and GTA. No mods or anything. I hardly download stuff lol.

Is Skype running when this happens? Skype can take up a good portion of CPU resources.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 5:54:30 AM

rds1220 said:
Is Skype running when this happens? Skype can take up a good portion of CPU resources.

Not on an i5-2500K. It have adequate resources to handle tons of applications running simultaneously.

nickazzo123 said:
Hello,

I built my computer last month and can run games very well. However I noticed some freezing when opening programs like firefox or taking a long time to load or cant click anything on my screen for a couple of seconds.

Could the slow performance be caused by my CPU or HDD? and if it's a HDD problem, would upgrading to a Caviar black help?

If you haven't done so, upgrade your Catalyst to the latest driver (12.1). The previous versions contains fixes about lagging mouse response (which should be carried over to the latest).
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 5:59:25 AM

I would expect it to be software related. Generally the i5 should have no problem.

would you happen to be running some excessive software in the background?
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
February 2, 2012 6:15:02 AM

Is it a real version of windows?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 6:19:49 AM

^^ or too much time on adult sites. Remember free comes at a price
m
l
February 2, 2012 6:48:25 PM

FlintIronStagg said:

Haven't went on any of those sites.. YET. Real version of windows 7. No only programs like screensnapr.com and coretemp are running. Drivers has already been updated. This issue also happens when skype is not running in the background.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 1:33:30 AM

nickazzo123 said:
Haven't went on any of those sites.. YET. Real version of windows 7. No only programs like screensnapr.com and coretemp are running. Drivers has already been updated. This issue also happens when skype is not running in the background.

This leaves the BIOS then. Have you updated as well?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 3:53:54 AM

FlintIronStagg said:

The only thing that changes in this regard is that the PC picks up the virus. :lol: 
m
l
!