New motherboard, PC won't turn on

MikeTheGuy

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
So I recently bought a new motherboard, cpu, and 4gigs of ram. I got myself a Asrock 880GM-FX lite I read on multiple forums and reviews and everyone said it was a solid motherboard. I also got myself a 965 BE I was not worried about the PSU since I have a Rosewell 650 and it has flawlessly been powering my old system with a HD 6950. I took out the old motherboard had no problems getting it out and put in the new one. Instantly I ran into a few problems, the computer case has built in standoffs so I felt a bit uneasy using them, also the case had very old front panel connectors. The motherboard speaker connecter has no place to fit and the system power connector had to be plugged in oddly.

After a few moments of plugging everything in I finally went to power it on and of course with my luck it refused to do anything and since I have no place to put in my motherboard speaker I can't tell whats wrong via beeping. After a hour or two of frustration I decided to just put the old motherboard back in and of course, that one refused to turn on now too.

So now I have problem because I can't even use my computer now. My only assumptions is that I shorted them out or I did not seat them properly in the case I can't think of anything else, the old motherboard lets me correctly plug everything in so its not a plug problem.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
If the light on the motherboard still turns on then there is power and there is probably not a big issue, I feel like the issue is your wiring. There is a wiring layout in the manual, I checked online, so strictly follow that and if you don't know which wire is positive or negative, keep switching them around for the power on pins (HDD lights don't matter, if you wire those wrong it will have the light on all the time when your HDD is inactive, not a huge deal as you can switch them back). If this does not work, your motherboard has the system speaker on a different spot on the board, so try that again.

ram1009

Distinguished

Sorry, but you got it backwards. The LEDs are polarized meaning they need to be plugged in properly which is often difficult to do. It doesn't hurt anything to plug them in backwards, they just won't work so try it both ways. On the other hand, the power and reset buttons are not polarized so it doesn't matter which way they are plugged in. I do. however agree that the OP probably has mis-wired the front panel. Here's a test. From the MB manual locate the two pins the power switch plugs into. Using a screwdriver or ??? short the two pins together. The computer should power on. If it doesn't, report back.

MikeTheGuy

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
I found out that my case has super old front panel connectors, it has a molex kk connector and a one big connector for the other rest, power, led, ect.

I am going to buy a new case and report back if I run into anymore problems, hopefully my mobo didn't somehow die if it did I'm going to send it back and get a new one.

ram1009

Distinguished

That's pretty drastic. Here's a pic of how the connectors should look. http://www.ekoshyun.com/2008/10/computer-front-panel-connector-leads.html How do your differ?

BarkmanX

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
Hi, I'm having the same issue. The first time I turned it on it lit the leds but I couldn't see anything on screen, so I turned it back off and rewired. Now I can't even get an error beep.
The parts that I'm trying to put together are:

mobo: Asrock n68n-gs-fx
cpu: athlon 64x2

they should be compatible as the cpu uses an am2+ socket. Any help would be welcome. Thanks!