Sign in with
Your question

Wireless connection not smooth

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 8, 2011 1:39:25 AM

I recently purchased a new laptop, an Acer Aspire 3820TG, it is a very capable laptop.

However, latency seems to jump around alot, making playing online games almost unbearable. Using the ping command, my ping jumps around from 50 to 120 almost every other hop.

I am using a Broadcom 802.11n Wireless adapter
It is using the latest driver (Might not have installed the right one, please link correct one if found)
Router is running on a unused channel
The problem is with the wireless connection, no problems with wired.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2011 12:59:06 PM

If wire is ok, then wireless is obviously the problem. But wireless is never going to be anywhere near as stable as wire. That's just a fact of life.

Wireless is sensitive to the slightest changes in environmental conditions, changes you wouldn’t even perceive from moment to moment (temp, humidity, etc., probably even cosmic rays! lol). It’s also competing w/ all kinds of other 2.4GHz devices, not just other wireless routers (cordless phones, microwave ovens, radio control toys, etc. Frankly, it’s amazing it works as well as it does.

What exacerbates the problem is that a gamer is particularly sensitive to changes in latency, something the average user would otherwise not even notice. When you combine a sensitive technology (wireless) w/ a sensitive user (gamer), you have a recipe for dissatisfaction.

That’s a long way of saying, use wire! Even you yourself have seen the difference. Frankly, a variation from 50 to 120ms is not that bad for wireless. I’ve seen far worse.
!