Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgraded video card, new games dont work!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2011 1:28:27 PM

i just got a new 5670 (Sapphire) and upgraded my old GeForce 9100 (intergraded)
all of the games that i have already had on my computer work just fine, but if i try to run a new one, it dosent work!!
i will provide more information if you need it
September 4, 2011 1:34:23 PM

Which games are working? What new games giving you the issues?

m
l
September 4, 2011 1:40:12 PM

Games that Work (previously installed):
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Bejeweled 3
  • DiRT (original)
  • GRID
  • Angry Birds
  • Split Second
  • DiRT 2
  • Modern Warfare
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • FUEL

New games that don't work:
  • Test Drive Unlimited 2 (loads, but just never opens)
  • Need for Speed Shift (click, then doesn't open)
  • Super Meat Boy (same problem)
    m
    l
    Related resources
    September 4, 2011 2:12:17 PM

nnaatthhaannx2 said:
    i used the install cd, but then updated them through windows....

Ohh.. that driver installer is outdated.. download the new driver at amd website...
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 2:16:42 PM

roan1234321 said:
    Ohh.. that driver installer is outdated.. download the new driver at amd website...

ok it is loading right now...
    50 min left (i have terribly slow internet)
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 2:22:24 PM

After you install the new driver go to microsoft download center search for directx first file run it then try the games again.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    September 4, 2011 2:55:41 PM

nnaatthhaannx2 said:
    any other suggestions?????

Yes, in fact. Install DX9 that came bundled with one of your games. I couldn't get some of my games to work on my GTX 560 Ti until I did that. Also, update your DirectX 11.
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 2:59:32 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
    Yes, in fact. Install DX9 that came bundled with one of your games. I couldn't get some of my games to work on my GTX 560 Ti until I did that. Also, update your DirectX 11.

how do i update DirectX 11?...
    and what about DirectX 10?????
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    September 4, 2011 3:05:35 PM

nnaatthhaannx2 said:
    how do i update DirectX 11?...
    and what about DirectX 10?????

In fact, I don't think updating DX11 is needed... if you want to, find it somewhere on the Misrosoft Update website...

Forget DX10, it's all included in DX11.
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 3:13:49 PM

well i did that, restarted and it still doesn't work!!!
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 3:37:32 PM

nnaatthhaannx2 said:
    well i did that, restarted and it still doesn't work!!!

what is the specs of you computer?
    maybe this info might help..
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 3:42:22 PM

roan1234321 said:
    what is the specs of you computer?
    maybe this info might help..

HP Pavilion 6210y
    300 watt PSU (unknown details)
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    AMD Athlon II x4 620
    6GB RAM
    Sapphire 5670
    500 WD Caviar Blue HDD
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 3:58:29 PM

i also have another question involving the same basic idea.
    DiRT 2 runs fine on the new card, but it doesn't minimize like it used to.
    whenever i use alt+tab to get out of it, it turns into like my desktop (the game) and i can't use other programs!
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 4:18:23 PM

nnaatthhaannx2 said:
    nah, it dosent really.
    i dont think thats really the problem anyways

hahaha.., yes it does.., try changing PSU borrow from a friend of your's then if it solve the problem well that's the problem..hahaha well good luck..
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 4:22:41 PM

roan1234321 said:
    hahaha.., yes it does.., try changing PSU borrow from a friend of your's then if it solve the problem well that's the problem..hahaha well good luck..

why would the old games work, but not the new ones then???
    anyone else agree with this?!?
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 4:26:32 PM

well old games are less demandibng the new one's, where it will demand less power to the GPU during gaming..while the new one's will demand more during gaming.., ive calculated ur PSU usage w/ eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 in http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine.. you can try it by your self..

hope this help you..
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 4:32:40 PM

roan1234321 said:
    well old games are less demandibng the new one's, where it will demand less power to the GPU during gaming..while the new one's will demand more during gaming.., ive calculated ur PSU usage w/ eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 in http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine.. you can try it by your self..

hope this help you..

since when was Super Meat Boy a "demanding" game!?!?
    and i just did the power checker thing and it said i needed 34w... i dont think that quite right...
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 4:35:24 PM

nnaatthhaannx2 said:

well wait for other advice.., going to sleep already it's past midnyt here in my place.

well good luck w/ your problem..
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 4:38:55 PM

nnaatthhaannx2 said:
    and i just did the power checker thing and it said i needed 34w... i dont think that quite right...

try pressing calculate....
    when i use it w/ your specs it says 340watts.. idon't know your system so i put some random staffs like 1 120mm fan,
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 4:49:31 PM

I'd have to agree with roan on this, when you're running less demanding graphical programs the card isn't using as much power, it's not just the graphics of a game that play a role in it, if the coding isn't very good, a game with terrible graphics can make your graphics card work. They have guide lines on the power usage for graphics cards for a reason. If it says 400W is required, it's generally smart to listen. If you have a friend who can let you test it, it would be a smart idea to, other than that, a 400W PSU isn't that expensive.
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 5:21:00 PM

EddySpeddy said:
    I'd have to agree with roan on this, when you're running less demanding graphical programs the card isn't using as much power, it's not just the graphics of a game that play a role in it, if the coding isn't very good, a game with terrible graphics can make your graphics card work. They have guide lines on the power usage for graphics cards for a reason. If it says 400W is required, it's generally smart to listen. If you have a friend who can let you test it, it would be a smart idea to, other than that, a 400W PSU isn't that expensive.

its not a PSU problem if COD can run and a 2d platformer can't!!
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 5:21:41 PM

Just in case, latest graphics card driver for Win7 64-bit http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win...

Direct X 9.0c http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-DirectX-Drivers-Redi...

and your old graphics was nvidia, have you removed the old nvidia drivers from your computer?

Also with the new games are you using the DVD drive to play them (they require a disc?). As an optical drive has different lasers for reading and writing, 'tis a long shot, but it writes on install, but reads when executing.
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 5:42:11 PM

Right click My Computer, go to Properties, Device Manager should show up on the left side when control panel opens up(after clicking properties), click on Device Manager, then click on Display Adapters, remove the old driver for the GeForce 9100 if it's still on there.

Other than that all I can think of is not enough power going to your card, or the read laser on your optical drive being gay.

Sorry that's all I've got, it's nearly 2am I'm gonna get some sleep, goodluck with everything.
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 6:06:32 PM

his card has plenty of power, its not that.
    Make sure to Uninstall the previous Nvidia drivers.
    Make sure you have Direct X updated *check, make sure to have the following installed to cover all your bases....microsoft dot net, Nvidia physX, games for windows live.
    If you installed these games before removing nvidia drivers, then uninstall the drivers, uninstall the games, reboot, then reinstall the games.
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 6:15:37 PM

grr i just tried DiRT 3 and it work flawlessly!! i get 35 fps on maxxed out settings!!
    i will now try re-installing! (the games that dont work)
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 8:00:05 PM

Test Drive Unlimited 2, Super Meat Boy, and NFS Shift still don't work.
    I click on them to open, they load.... and nothing!!
    m
    l
    a c 112 U Graphics card
    September 4, 2011 9:44:38 PM

have you tried to re-install the games. Long shot, but may help...

You may also try driver sweeper, but you have to watch out NOT to remove your chipset drivers them selves.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

It never hurts to make sure your chipset drivers are up to date as well.

I do not think power is the issue. I am typing this on a system with a 300 watt psu(that said, it never pulls near full load even with a 5770 in it.) too. And I game on this thing way more then even my game system(convenience since its already on).

I am not telling everyone to run out and buy 300 watt psu's. Just that a mid end system should be within the 300 watt psu's ability. I pull at max 180 watts from the wall(just cause 2 + prime95). So take off the 15-20% for the psu losses and its not all that bad. The system is I5 750(stock), 5770(stock), Single drive(used to be 2, but was too loud for my liking) and 2 120mm fans.
    m
    l
    September 4, 2011 11:55:57 PM

nukemaster said:
    have you tried to re-install the games. Long shot, but may help...

You may also try driver sweeper, but you have to watch out NOT to remove your chipset drivers them selves.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

It never hurts to make sure your chipset drivers are up to date as well.

I do not think power is the issue. I am typing this on a system with a 300 watt psu(that said, it never pulls near full load even with a 5770 in it.) too. And I game on this thing way more then even my game system(convenience since its already on).

I am not telling everyone to run out and buy 300 watt psu's. Just that a mid end system should be within the 300 watt psu's ability. I pull at max 180 watts from the wall(just cause 2 + prime95). So take off the 15-20% for the psu losses and its not all that bad. The system is I5 750(stock), 5770(stock), Single drive(used to be 2, but was too loud for my liking) and 2 120mm fans.

i already tried reinstalling, and everything is up-to-date.
    i knew it wasn't a PSU problem anyways, because the games aren't more demanding than ones i already have.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    September 5, 2011 12:04:41 AM

Wow you people are unreal telling this guy his PSU isn't good enough to run old games when new games do. Where do all you psu fanatics come from? Whatever issue he's having it's got nothing to do with a weak psu.
    m
    l
    September 5, 2011 12:18:50 AM

eyefinity said:
    Wow you people are unreal telling this guy his PSU isn't good enough to run old games when new games do. Where do all you psu fanatics come from? Whatever issue he's having it's got nothing to do with a weak psu.

EXACTLY!!!
    m
    l
    September 5, 2011 1:42:24 AM

this is such a long thread with just about no help on the actual topic!
    m
    l

Best solution

September 5, 2011 7:10:52 PM

nnaatthhaannx2 said:
    this is such a long thread with just about no help on the actual topic!

oh my God..
    what a thread..

it has nothing to do with your PSU. if it would nothing would work... pffffrrrr..
    your video drivers are issue.. my suggestion is to uninstall and in safe mode of course driver sweeper and only than install new drivers. and try to research which drivers fit better for your card, not always newer ones are better
    September 5, 2011 7:26:26 PM

_orbital_ said:
    oh my God..
    what a thread..

it has nothing to do with your PSU. if it would nothing would work... pffffrrrr..
    your video drivers are issue.. my suggestion is to uninstall and in safe mode of course driver sweeper and only than install new drivers. and try to research which drivers fit better for your card, not always newer ones are better

best answer....
    is it really safe to get rid of my old drivers tho?
    will i be able to get them back?
    m
    l
    September 5, 2011 7:58:12 PM

i don't know but for me driver sweeper works perfect. you NEED to remove all old drivers. that causes a lot of issues.
    you will need fresh install.. that's the best way
    m
    l
    September 5, 2011 8:02:10 PM

i looked at driver sweeper and it says that it hasn't been checked for windows 7......
    m
    l
    September 5, 2011 8:05:18 PM

it works in mine. windows 7 64 bit
    remove all amd/ati drivers not audio and other stuff ;]
    m
    l
    September 5, 2011 9:18:20 PM

_orbital_ said:
    it works in mine. windows 7 64 bit
    remove all amd/ati drivers not audio and other stuff ;]

i removed my nvidia driver, (only shown in driver magician)
    now TDU2 works, but still no luck on the others!
    m
    l
    September 5, 2011 9:18:36 PM

Best answer selected by nnaatthhaannx2.
    m
    l
    September 5, 2011 9:30:47 PM

well at least you know that problem were with drivers. i think some of the old ati drivers are still left..
    maybe try different driver removal tool...
    m
    l
    !