Sign in with
Your question

Asus Maximus IV Etreme overkill for a DAW???

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Asus
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2011 5:27:15 AM

Hi everyone. Sorry for the long post.

I just want to address this question to all the people who are into DAW building and music production: In your opinion, is the Asus Maximus IV Extreme B3 (P67chip)overkill for a DAW?

The reason I ask this is because I want to build a rock-solid DAW using a rock-solid motherboard for my first DAW. My budget is up to $2000. I am choosing to go with the P67 chip-set simply because a lot of the reviews I have read regarding the Z68 chip-set have left me unimpressed, bur the reviews of the P67 chip-set have been very impressive (to me at least). I don't need all of the things the Z68 chip offers. I don't want the on board graphics for starters or the SSD caching, or the video sync etc. I just feel that from all of the reviews I have read, the P67 chip is a far better way for me to go. Having said that, the P67 motherboards are running out very quickly. I can't locate a P67 Gigabyte Mobo and the only remaining Asus P67 mobos are limited in choice. The other Asus P67 board that is available and that I am considering is the Asus P8P67 WS Revolution which comes up trumps in many reviews BUT does NOT perform as well as the P67 Maximus IV Extreme (according to the reviews).

I will be using the Sandy Bridge i7 2600 . 2600K CPU. I will have 1xHDD and 1xSSD, run two or more monitors, will need some good USB3 slots, and I will need a few PCIe slots for GPU's etc. I will only be using this computer build as dedicated DAW, however I may decide to play the occasional game if I get bored. This computer has to last me up to ten years without problems (or very few problems. Once I build a rock solid and reliable DAW, there will be no need for me to upgrade it for a number of years ... that's why I am considering the P67 Maximus IV Extreme while I can still get one. Your input, suggestions or advice is most welcome.

P.S. I'm not waiting around for the X79 boards to be released. The price of these boards is as yet unknown and so is their performance. Plus, I believe the cost of the Sandy Bridge e (aka) Ivy Bridge will be up near the $500 price ... another money grab for Intel.

Peace! DirtyDick

More about : asus maximus etreme overkill daw

November 2, 2011 2:01:57 PM

This should still be in stock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
Plus, I believe the cost of the Sandy Bridge e (aka) Ivy Bridge will be up near the $500 price ... another money grab for Intel.

I doubt it. Even with the Bulldozer fail, Intel needs to be careful here. I'm predicting that high-end will be $400-450 at most.
m
l
November 2, 2011 2:05:54 PM

Yes, I think it's overkill for anything except PR stunts.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2011 2:09:05 PM

this will serve you well:

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($170.99 @ Office Depot)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($349.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($137.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer V213HBJbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer V213HBJbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1727.40
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

add sound card for $200 and youre good
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:18:51 AM

feartrich said:
This should still be in stock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
Plus, I believe the cost of the Sandy Bridge e (aka) Ivy Bridge will be up near the $500 price ... another money grab for Intel.

I doubt it. Even with the Bulldozer fail, Intel needs to be careful here. I'm predicting that high-end will be $400-450 at most.

Thanks for your advice and for the URL. I DID think the Maximus was a little "too" over the top for anything but high-end gaming and it did appear a little 'gimmicky'. So now I am looking into the specs of the Gigabyte motherboard that has been suggested.

Peace!
DirtyDick
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 3, 2011 1:30:32 AM

why would you use p67 when Z68 does everything p67 does just as well ....and then does more?

Its also a mistake to pay for a top end board. Thy dont perform better , they are not more " solid" and the money is usually better spent increasing performance elsewhere
m
l
!