Sign in with
Your question

Dual xeon liquid cooling setup

Last response: in Motherboards
December 5, 2012 1:02:04 PM

I've just built a dual xeon CPU system( 2x E5-2687 w), But the fans are really doing my head in , too loud!!
I'm using the X9DAI supermicro with the supermicro heatsinks in a cooler-master cosmos 2 case. There's plenty of room in it for a dual liquid cooling solution, but i'm not sure as far as installation goes so a little bit help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of having two 120 mm fans next to each other at the top or one 140 mm at the top and 140 mm at the rear. what do i need to take into consideration when i install them and which ones would be perfect for that particular set up.

2 X H80 CORSAIR or 2 X intel BXRTS2011 LC ?

regards.
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 1:36:32 PM

I personally would go with the Intel Rad's since the 140mm fans tend to have higher static pressure which is more important for LC. That allows them to get enough airflow across the rad without driving the RPM's up.

You may have to do a little doctoring of the case to get a 140 up top though, I believe the cause is designed for 3 x 120mm on top.

You can always use an H100i up top (2 x 120mm) and the intel on the back of the case (1 x 140mm)
m
l
December 5, 2012 5:27:17 PM

killbert said:
I've just built a dual xeon CPU system( 2x E5-2687 w), But the fans are really doing my head in , too loud!!
I'm using the X9DAI supermicro with the supermicro heatsinks in a cooler-master cosmos 2 case. There's plenty of room in it for a dual liquid cooling solution, but i'm not sure as far as installation goes so a little bit help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of having two 120 mm fans next to each other at the top or one 140 mm at the top and 140 mm at the rear. what do i need to take into consideration when i install them and which ones would be perfect for that particular set up.

2 X H80 CORSAIR or 2 X intel BXRTS2011 LC ?

regards.

I would do the 2 x Corsair H80 as long as your case is big enough....And then also upgrade the fans on the h80s with silent 120MM fans...that will quiet it down

m
l
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 5:51:00 PM

Ok, my mistake. I have no idea why I was thinking the intel cooler was 140mm, it is also a 120mm.

The H80 will have better performance than the Intel.

You can not put a 140mm fan on a 120mm mount, the holes won't line up.

I would go for an H100i up top, and an H80i on the back.

I would get high static pressure fans as well. Like these http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/air-series-f...
m
l
December 5, 2012 11:55:55 PM

I was going to do that but the problem is that your CPUS would have different cooling and they would operate at different temperatures. Isnt it better to have them set up the same ?
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 6, 2012 1:52:53 PM

Maybe 1 or 2c difference. It wouldn't be a problem.

The reason I was thinking that is it should further lower your noise as the H100 can operate at lower RPM's due to the larger RAD.

If you want to match everything up the dual H80's would be fine.
m
l
!