Sign in with
Your question

Monitor wont start after installing new cpu

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2012 12:35:03 PM

Hello, everyone please help!
I recently installed a new cpu into my mobo and right after that i plugged everything back in and started my computer. My computer was running i could hear the fans inside working just fine, but my monitor was still in power down mode. I tried switching if off manually and turning it back on and for a sec it said no DVI signal and then went into power save mode again. My monitor is only a week old so i doubt it is the monitor. video card is also 2 weeks old. My mobo is a socket am2+ and the cpu was a AM3 I have called AMD and they did confirm the cpu was backwards compatible, I have checked for a bios update but there was none. I doubt it is a bios problem as many forums ive read people who have bios issues usually just have error messages or computer turns on for a few second then powers down. Mine does none of the above it stays on unitll i manually turn it off.
February 2, 2012 12:50:46 PM

Could be a few things, a likely suspect is something as simple as static, take every single cable out and hold your power button in for 20 seconds. Do this on both your PC and your Monitor.

Other than that, your PC may not be auto detecting the display for some reason, try with a different cable and go into the menu and select input to whichever cable your using.

Other than that, try your gfx card in a different PCI slot (if you have 1), check all cables are secure and also check that all cables are actually in the right place.

Check that your CPU fan power cable is in the correct 3 pin CPU fan slot.

Worst comes to worst, take it apart and put it back together (youd be suprised how often that fixes it)
m
l
February 2, 2012 1:54:28 PM

I suspect your issue is with the CPU itself. First regardless of what AMD says about compatiblity, you need to check with your MOBO mfg. If it does support your AM3, I would go on to check the CPU installation. Make sure the chip is oriented correctly with the tab marks. Reseat the CPU, maybe just a bad connection on one of the pins. If that doesn't work, It may be a bad CPU chip. Reinstall the old CPU to see if it comes up correctly.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 1:54:40 PM

So you called AMD to see if the cpu was compatible? lol

You couldn't just check yourself online?

Sounds to me like the cpu ISN'T compatible.

Tell us what mobo and cpu you have. Likely you'll need to put the old cpu back in and update bios, IF it's compatible at all.
m
l
February 2, 2012 2:04:06 PM

geekapproved said:
So you called AMD to see if the cpu was compatible? lol

You couldn't just check yourself online?

Sounds to me like the cpu ISN'T compatible.

Tell us what mobo and cpu you have. Likely you'll need to put the old cpu back in and update bios, IF it's compatible at all.

I did check online and found people who having my same motherboard do it successfully just want to make double sure (y not)
m
l
February 2, 2012 2:08:36 PM

BTW since most seem to think it is not compatible, When i opened the new cpu box and pulled out the manual says right there too the cpu is compatible with AM2, AM2+, AM3
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
February 2, 2012 2:13:45 PM

LOL.... they mean Socket Compatibility, it doesn't mean that you mobo is compatible with the processor.
For a last try, just remove the CMOS battery and wait for a minute while the rig is completely powered off, I mean not even connected to the wall outlet.
See if there are any jumpers that need to be shorted to clear the BIOS, do it, then reinsert the battery and short those jumpers for about 5 to 10 Seconds again.

Plug the PC power into the wall outlet, make sure the Monitor is connected to the Onboard IGP, if it's there or else the GPU. No HDMI things only D-SUB or DVI.
Start the rig.
See if you get anything on.
m
l
February 2, 2012 2:19:40 PM

alyoshka said:
LOL.... they mean Socket Compatibility, it doesn't mean that you mobo is compatible with the processor.
For a last try, just remove the CMOS battery and wait for a minute while the rig is completely powered off, I mean not even connected to the wall outlet.
See if there are any jumpers that need to be shorted to clear the BIOS, do it, then reinsert the battery and short those jumpers for about 5 to 10 Seconds again.

Plug the PC power into the wall outlet, make sure the Monitor is connected to the Onboard IGP, if it's there or else the GPU. No HDMI things only D-SUB or DVI.
Start the rig.
See if you get anything on.

Yeah soon as I get home today, I plan to take everything out (video card, ram, dvd drive, hard disk) see if it works then otherwise ill try restting the cmos or pulling out the battery.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 2:20:55 PM

spityyy said:
I did check online and found people who having my same motherboard do it successfully just want to make double sure (y not)

You don't go online and find people who have same mob and did it successfully......lol....you go to the mobo manufacturers website, look up your mobo model, and check the cpu compatibility list.

Just because it's a AM3 cpu and your mobo say's its AM3 compatible, does not mean it will work with any AM3 cpu. That's not how it works. Just like many s775 cpu's do not work on s775 mobo's.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 2:22:46 PM

spityyy said:
Yeah soon as I get home today, I plan to take everything out (video card, ram, dvd drive, hard disk) see if it works then otherwise ill try restting the cmos or pulling out the battery.

....but that would be pointless if the cpu is not compatible with your motheboard.

....and since you still failed to tell us what cpu and mobo were talking about, nobody can help you do that.
m
l
!