Sign in with
Your question

Is p4pe-x motherboard support for

Last response: in Motherboards
December 5, 2012 2:00:10 PM

win 8 upgrade requires support for pae/nx/sset....can't find in bios,,,is there support for upgrade?
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 3:04:49 PM

PAE - Physical Address Extension. Built into all intel CPU's made after the Pentium Pro.
NX - No eXecute Bit - Intel added to processors starting with Pentium 4 Series.
SSE2 - Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 - Added to Intel processors starting with Pentium 4.

So, assuming you have a Pentium 4 (since that is what your MB is designed for) it *should* run.

What exact P4 model do you have?
m
l
a c 92 V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 3:06:25 PM

doesn't even have drivers after 2000/XP.
m
l
Related resources
a c 77 V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 3:11:20 PM

That's a socket 478 Pentium 4 motherboard, which is to say a really old system by modern standards. Even if you could get Win 8 to run it wouldn't run too well, and there might not be support for all devices, like the video card.
m
l
December 5, 2012 3:20:34 PM

itzdanielp said:
PAE - Physical Address Extension. Built into all intel CPU's made after the Pentium Pro.
NX - No eXecute Bit - Intel added to processors starting with Pentium 4 Series.
SSE2 - Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 - Added to Intel processors starting with Pentium 4.

So, assuming you have a Pentium 4 (since that is what your MB is designed for) it *should* run.

What exact P4 model do you have?

thanx for input...cpu is Pentium 4,northwood,2.8 ghz. contemplating upgrade to squeeze a little more mileage before boneyard...question is would it run any better?
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 3:24:06 PM

It would not run better under 8 than under 7.

Do you have the model number for the CPU?
m
l
December 5, 2012 3:24:54 PM

SchizTech said:
That's a socket 478 Pentium 4 motherboard, which is to say a really old system by modern standards. Even if you could get Win 8 to run it wouldn't run too well, and there might not be support for all devices, like the video card.

thanx for response...my video card is ati pro 1950 and supposedly compatible via win 8 upgrade advisor...but you are right....may be no real change in performance
m
l
a c 77 V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 3:25:58 PM

billdoak109 said:
thanx for input...cpu is Pentium 4,northwood,2.8 ghz. contemplating upgrade to squeeze a little more mileage before boneyard...question is would it run any better?

I'm assuming you currently run Windows XP? Windows 8 is designed to run fast on modern systems but it's still a much more optimized version of Vista at heart. That is to say it runs best on higher hardware specs than XP does. Also, driver support for things like video and sound and the network could be iffy (especially video in my experience).
m
l
a c 77 V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 3:29:01 PM

billdoak109 said:
thanx for response...my video card is ati pro 1950 and supposedly compatible via win 8 upgrade advisor...but you are right....may be no real change in performance

The amd site does list Windows 7 drivers for the X1900 series, so the video may well work. If the upgrade assistant says it will work that should be alright.

How much RAM do you have? For Windows Vista/7/8 on an older system like that I'd max out the RAM if possible. Newer versions of Windows need more RAM than XP to run optimally
m
l
!