XFX have ran me over - anybody else?

sonnyd09

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
I am starting to feel serious loathing for XFX, as I have had two PSU's from them and they have both failed. Lets start from the begining shall we..?

PC Build One

I purchased good quality parts from recommended retailers, like Dabs, and Scan (see my sig for details), including the PSU - which was from Dabs. This was a 650w XXX Edition which served me well for over a year.

PC Upgrade

I decided I needed a new case for improved airflow across my SLI'd cards, so I brought a new case and motherboard. After building the systemn up again, the PSU blew up. Yes. I know.

So I contacted them, and six weeks later, I recieved a new 850w Black Edition from them. Well I was as happy as Larry, until today.

Who wants to play Saints Row 3?

After about 20 minutes of playing SR3, the system shut down. I mean, it just powered off. It no longer turns on and the PC physically doesn't startup - maybe 1/2 of a second (all the fans come on) of power and then that is it. I have diagnosed every part just incase; starting with a minimal install. Working down to only having the CPU, PSU and Motherboard (no fans) connected still came to no avail. The green Motherboard status light come on signaling some kind of power output from the PSU, but nothing when I try to turn it on via the power button on the case.

Has anyone else had an issue with XFX and their PSU's? I would love to hear what you guys think.

Rant over.
Sonny.

Hello sonnyd09;

Anything unusual about your electrical distribution system where you live?
PSUs are designed to 'sacrifice themselves' to protect the rest of the system parts if there is a problem in the electrical supply.

I suppose it's possible that both your PSUs got dropped by the delivery gorillas somewhere between the factory and your place.
But Im also thinking there might be some issue with the electrical service.

wattz3

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
im having trouble with my XFX PRO 750w psu atm ...it shuts down the pc when i run 3d applications and quite often wont turn back on just with trying to start with a slight spin to the cpu fan and then nothing (mobo lit up with power light)....i took my graphics out (gtx285) and ran with my onboard and seems to handle it ok ,but when ever it needs to draw juice for the graphics when i put it back in same happens over again :(

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Odd that its deactivated. I wonder if they are temp. suspending sales till they find out what is going on.

XFX units are made by Seasonic and are typically one of the best.

It's been replaced by the ProSeries 850W PSU - 850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular (Silver) - P1-850B-NLG9 without the hideous neon green colour scheme.

G

I had a cooling issue once with a PSU. The PSU was a Corsair TX-650 installed in the bottom of a case with a solid floor. Anyway, this thing would overheat and shutoff due to lack of air, inadequate cooling. I flipped the PSU over, but this just prolonged the overheating. Ultimately I added a case fan and drilled the floor of the case with a 3 inch hole saw directly under where the PSU was mounted. Not a problem since. The PSU has since been used in a different case and is still going after two years of original cooling issue.
Something to keep in mind at least.