Will the Geforce 520 2GB use more than 30W?

Sablob

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hello, I feel I might be missing something and I don't want to damage my friend's system using a PSU with too low wattage. The specs are below, and I've included the power specs given:

AMD FX-4100 95 Watt
Geforce GT 520 Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 29
Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 300
8GB DDR3

My question is whether the GPU will use over 30W?

Thanks, Simon

How many HDDs and DVD/Blu-ray drives? Any OC of the CPU/GPU? What is the model number of the PSU?

Trying to use an underpowered PSU won't necessarily damage the components...if you don't have sufficient power, your system may fail to boot or have stability issues when under heavy loads.

Sablob

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Hi, thanks for the reply. To answer: one HDD, 1 Blu-ray drive. No current overclock but headroom is important for this. PSU has one 12v rail and 201W across all rails: http://www.ebuyer.com/169215-casecom-350w-12cm-fan-psu-20-4pin-1x-sata-4x-molex-psu-350watx

If you run Furmark the GeForce GT 520 will draw 31 Watts. This isn't considered a typical power consumption that you will encounter during normal use.

25 Watts would be considered a typical maximum power draw by the GeForce GT 520 like what would be encountered during intense gaming.

That Casecom 350W PSU only has a +12 Volt current rating of 10 Amps. It's based on an old obsolete design meant for use in old systems since it's heavily biased towards the +5V and +3.3V rails.

For your system configuration using a single GeForce GT 520 the PSU should have at least a 16 Amp continuous rating on its +12V rail to properly power the system.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

Modern ATX power supplies deliver almost all (typically 90–98%) of their total rated capacity in the form of +12 V power.