New video card, or dual cards?

adambean

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hey all,

With the slew of new games coming out this holiday season, I'm debating about either adding a second card, or upgrading to a newer card. Currently I'm running a XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150476), which doesn't even appear to be sold anymore (bought this last September).

Is it worthwhile to hunt down another one of these, or is it best to simply buy a new, single card? If the latter, any recommendations? I haven't looked into the hardware side of the world since I built this desktop last September.

Thanks!

Solution
Your system is pretty nicely balanced. If your resolution is over 1080p, then you might see better performance with a newer card, I would wait until the end of the yesr personally, the 7xx AMD and 6xx nvida will be starting to be released.
You could always look to see if you can find a deal on another 5870 in the mean time, but I think you would be happier with a solid new card for the future.

Embra

Distinguished
Still a very good card, but finding one will not be so easy and the price will be the same as the 6xxx equivalent at best I would think.
Give us more info on your build, (psu, cpu, resolution etc...) so we can better advise.
Budget??

adambean

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for the prompt response!

Currently, all games are running very well. Just went through Deus Ex, and it ran like a champ. With some others coming out this season (Rage/Dead Island/Skyrim, etc.), I simply want to be ahead of the game. If what I have will suffice and be able to run them with relatively high settings, than maybe I don't need one ... anyways, my build:

1 x COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
1 x ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
1 x XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
1 x COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
1 x AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
1 x G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-120GBP2 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 x Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
1 x COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP 200mm Red LED Case Fan
1 x ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

I don't know if it's simply better to use two older cards, or a single new one. That and no idea who's the better card these days, nVidia or ATI, I'm sure it's still a big debate. Anyways, $$ is debatable, it all depends if it's actually worthwhile. I am an avid PC gamer and simply want to ensure that come release date of the new games this season that I'm not behind and/or angry when I can't play the games at good settings.

Thanks!

Embra

Distinguished
Your system is pretty nicely balanced. If your resolution is over 1080p, then you might see better performance with a newer card, I would wait until the end of the yesr personally, the 7xx AMD and 6xx nvida will be starting to be released.
You could always look to see if you can find a deal on another 5870 in the mean time, but I think you would be happier with a solid new card for the future.

Solution

adambean

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks Embra. After looking at the requirements for some of the new games, looks like I should be ok ... may not get the highest settings, but it seems like I'll suffice. That and with what you're saying in regards to the next series on their way out, sounds like it may be in my best interest to simply wait it out.

Thank you for the information!

It is premature to make a decision now, when games are running OK.

Wait until the new games come out, and see how you do.

There will be some new 28nm cards from amd before the end of the year, and from Nvidia the next quarter.

In general, I like a single card which avoids the dual gpu issues of game compatibility and microstuttering. If your resolution is 1920 x 1200 or less, a single card should be all you need.

You might want to see what 5870's go for on e-bay. If the prices seem high, then sell yours in favor of something stronger.
If prices seem low, then consider buying one for crossfire. Check using the completed auctions to see what they really sold for.