huge shutter lag - Canon S400

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 18, 2005 7:41:57 PM

I have a Canon S400 using a 256 MB Ultra II ScanDisk CF.

The shutter lag is awful!!! It's been that way since day one, over a
year ago, but it's finally gotten to me.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's TRULY annoying. Whenever anyone takes
a pic I have to tell them (usually a couple of times) to really hold
down the button.

TIA.
April 18, 2005 10:52:39 PM

In article <1113864117.436785.75270@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, yirg
<yirg.kenya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas? It's TRULY annoying. Whenever anyone takes
> a pic I have to tell them (usually a couple of times) to really hold
> down the button.

It is bad. I could not stand it much on my S400 either. Especialy could
not stand it because I have a DSLR with no shutter lag. That makes
expectations higher. I have since got a Canon SD300 to replace it as my
pocket camera and have found the lag on that model is a lot less and
tolerable. The main thing I will suggest is depressing the shutter half
way to lock focus, then the rest for the shot when you have the moment.

--
Charles
Anonymous

yirg wrote:
> I have a Canon S400 using a 256 MB Ultra II ScanDisk CF.
>
> The shutter lag is awful!!! It's been that way since day one, over a
> year ago, but it's finally gotten to me.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? It's TRULY annoying. Whenever anyone takes
> a pic I have to tell them (usually a couple of times) to really hold
> down the button.
>
> TIA.

I have one, and strangely I never even noticed it that much. Maybe I'm
too used to P&S digital cameras! But what I usually do, almost
unconsciously, is the second I begin to frame a picture, I push the
shutter button down halfway. It always takes me a few seconds to frame
the picture, and then the camera fires immediately when I push the
button the rest of the way. It's all sort of automatic for me. I also
have an S500, which has a much faster shutter mode.

Joe
!