Sign in with
Your question

Water cooling questions/small eyefinity/monitor question

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2012 2:41:08 PM

Hey all, so I'm near the end of my first ever build.
I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions or advice on decent water coolers at a low cost.. and if it would be worth it over fans for my rig. (depending on suggestions, maybe I should just stick with fans?

My specs:

Mobo - Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

CPU - Sandy Bridge Intel Core i5-2500k stock 3.3Ghz turbo to 3.6Ghz (Plan on overclocking)

Video card - Msi R6950 Twin Frozr III 2gb OC/Power Edition x2 in Crossfire (Plan to overclock)

Ram - Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4 x 4GB) DDR3

PSU - Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze

SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

Case - Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

The case holds lots of fans.. But I will be using the computer a lot, and with overclocking and all, I was just wondering if water cooling would be better or not, and if it does, preferably not very expensive cooling, as long as it beats fans.

Also I'm stuck on a 32" LCD TV right now.. But once the build is complete I'm hoping to get three 27" LED monitors for eyefinity of the monitor in the link below.. But first I'd like to know if this rig would even be able to run games like Crysis or BF3 on ultra 1080p on three 27" or not.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+27%22+LED+Monitor...

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers any of these questions.
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 2:49:36 PM

not worth it, look at reviews for 'contained' water systems, they are generally noisier and warmer than cheapish air coolers. I've a friend reporting cpu temps of 65+C when on BF3 on water (I think he has a case problem) , i'm hitting 55 on air.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 2:52:43 PM

given that they are 1080p monitors you'll probably be ok, are you sure you want 27" 1080p, those pixels will be large compared to the 24" 1080p, never mind the desk space required.
m
l
Related resources
a c 110 ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 2:53:30 PM

What do you mean by low cost liquid cooling? Corsair h series? Or a full on water cooling kit.
m
l
February 2, 2012 3:04:45 PM

@13thmonkey Well, I wanted as big as possible that my rig could actually run on ultra.. However I don't know too much about monitors.. So, what exactly do you mean by the pixels being large, or in what way would it effect the game, or picture? Also I have my keyboard and mouse on a laptop tray, so I can sit back as far as needed in my room, if that makes any difference.. And thanks for the reply!

@amuffin I pretty much spent all my money so far on the build itself, and am getting close to my budget, excluding the monitors.. I don't know much about liquid cooling either obviously lol, but, I was hoping just whatever someone would suggest.. For example, if a full on cooling kit within a range of $300 - $350 or so, would be better than fans, then maybe that.. But from my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, the h series is just a CPU liquid cooler? In which case may work too? I plan on overclocking my CPU as high as possible, so I'm hoping someone could tell me, cause I'm pretty clueless on what to do..
Thanks a lot for the reply.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 3:54:58 PM

Yup, the H series is only for the cpu, but with a $350 budget, real water is well within your reach,
post up,
what you want cooling, cpu+one card or two?
if you are prepared/able to mod if required
maximum budget ceiling
and if poss your ambient temp range,
Moto
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 4:56:43 PM

Swiftech h20-220 Ultima XT <---- getting this kit soon :) 
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 5:33:58 PM

Before seriously busting your budget, ask yourself how often and to what extreme will you be overclocking? If you're not going to push your equipment hard with OCing, then a good quality air cooler will save you around $300 over water cooling. We can tell you good water cooling setups, but only you can answer whether or not your really need it. Just food for thought. On the other hand, if you have the money and want to spend it, then have fun!
m
l
!