No VGA detected, according to the system speaker.

crazedpolishman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Greetings.

This is my second build, it's completely put together, but it won't boot. I installed the system speaker and it makes the sequence (one long beep followed by 3 short) which means no VGA is detected, so nothing appears on the monitor.

Every part is fresh out of the box. Obviously I have not installed any software yet since I still need to install an operating system (Windows 7.)

Here is what I have done:
1. The first time I assembled everything I used a little too much thermal paste. After it didn't work, I completely took it apart, cleaned all the past out, and reinstalled the heatsink and all the components, and still nothing. I'm quite sure I cleaned up all the excess paste.

2. Reset the CMO

3. Did these steps: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

4. I've also made sure, several times, that each piece is firmly in place.

So, that's all the information I have. The beeping.

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHZ AM3+
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB 240-pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
Video card: ASUS EAH6870 Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI express 2.1
Power Supply: Rosewill Xtreme 750w
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST3750640NS 750GB
Operating System: Windows 7, which isn't installed yet.
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower. It has 5 fans, a lot of mesh.

Well, thanks.

Solution
Ok. Try disconnecting your FANS, HDD, and take out half the RAM. Leave everything else plugged in and try that again as well.

Although if you already tried this - I'm wondering if you got a lemon of a video card. Heck it might even be something really really simple. You made sure you have the 6 pin power connected to your video card right?
Ok. Try disconnecting your FANS, HDD, and take out half the RAM. Leave everything else plugged in and try that again as well.

Although if you already tried this - I'm wondering if you got a lemon of a video card. Heck it might even be something really really simple. You made sure you have the 6 pin power connected to your video card right?

Solution

crazedpolishman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

I tried disconnecting those things, and the same beeps happen.

This video card actually has two 6 pin power connections, and both are connected.

crazedpolishman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Well, with the VGA not being able to be read, and the VGA light being red, I decided there was a problem with the card and sent it back.

Also, when I moved it to a different slot, I got a different message which meant component failure. I'm really hoping it was just a lemon and the replacement will fix the problem, it was free to replace because it was brand new.

It comes tomorrow. I'll have to wait until then to see.