Fujitsu Primergy TX100 S2 server opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I need a server type storage system to act as a cloud file server for a small business. After looking at different NAS products and then various WHS 2011 variants, I ran across the Fujitsu Pimergy TX100 S2 for only $299. I'm thinking this is plenty powerful and won't give bottlenecks on performance for the most part compared to some of the Atom processor based systems or other NAS products for similar $$$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859115004&Tpk=fujitsu%20primergy

Here's the system basics: Tower Server System Intel Core i3-540 3.06GHz 2-Core 4GB DDR 3, 2 x 250 GB HDD, NO OS.

I was thinking of doing WHS 2011...but a friend tells me use Ubuntu? I've never set up my own server but need good security (financial industry) for certain documents and I want to allow employees access via remote locations. We also need solid back up for multiple systems.

I'd appreciate any feedback on WHS 2011 and Ubuntu?

Solution
Corporate servers will run on Linux/Ubuntu. Supposedly it has better security features, if you know what you are doing. Windows home server dumbs it down, but I'm not sure it will allow you to do what you want. I'd check out the reviews, you can gleam a lot from what it can and can't do from what people say.

The machine will work well enough, though it is sold out. Plus, I suppose as old as the topic is you may have already gotten your answer.

Still, I understand money may not be cheap, but look around and see if you can find a friend who works in a IT department, or knows someone that does and see if they can assist you.

Really, you simply cannot be cheap with security in a business environment.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Corporate servers will run on Linux/Ubuntu. Supposedly it has better security features, if you know what you are doing. Windows home server dumbs it down, but I'm not sure it will allow you to do what you want. I'd check out the reviews, you can gleam a lot from what it can and can't do from what people say.

The machine will work well enough, though it is sold out. Plus, I suppose as old as the topic is you may have already gotten your answer.

Still, I understand money may not be cheap, but look around and see if you can find a friend who works in a IT department, or knows someone that does and see if they can assist you.

Really, you simply cannot be cheap with security in a business environment.

Solution

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
phyco126 and others....
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it and they reinforced my own concerns and thoughts about security.

I've taken delivery of the server...when it sold out at Newegg for $299, TigerDirect had it for $29 more, plus shipping, but NO California tax so I jumped and still got a great deal. I'm in the process of trying a trial version of Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials. Definitely not the cheapest OS when considering Linux/Ubuntu, or WHS 2011, but seems to be pretty simple to manage from all the reviews I've read. It was good to have all the comments on security from this thread. I did exactly as you suggest and checked out reviews of WHS 2011 and decided SBS was the direction to go since its based on Win SBS 2008r2 which has to be more secure. I checked out numerous versions of Linux servers but the level expertise to run it I just don't have and the learning curve I didn't want.

I really didn't want to go the Microsoft direction (the big machine), but when you consider the issues of cost, security, futsing around over time/wasted time from what really makes me money, I decided to give the trial a shot. SBS 2011 Essentials seems to do everything I need, has 25 seats included(room for growth) and with the hardware I purchased it should scream with 5-10 users accessing it. According to the reviews, this server version made huge strides in simplicity and states that reduced IT costs and the lack of a real IT department was one of the goals (thats us)...the reviews state that it as simple as it gets and a huge feat to make it so simple. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will post my progress or lack thereof.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED!

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hello I would like to ask. What is the drive bay configuration of this "S2" version of this server? I know that the swing-out side panel of the "S1" has slots for 4 drives. What is the "S2" version like? Documentation seems to indicate that this S2 version is built differently than that S1 version, and that it can only house 2 drives.

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
You are right.....the swing-out drive tray will only hold two drives. The drive cage right below the DVD drive will hold two more drives. There is documentation that came with the computer showing the four drive swing-out tray as you mentioned....not sure it I am going to purchase that or not. Interesting though there is only one additional power plug for a drive. Some of the documentation shows a splitter/Y connector.

What also came with the server was all sorts of cool software for setting up this server....this is a true server. TigerDirect has it for $299 right now.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
So you did not actually purchase this server yet?

It sounded like you did in your post above. I was hoping that you did have this Fujitsu server and was going to ask if you could take a picture. And I would like to know if it was the same mother board also. There are great pictures on the web for the S1 for comparison.

If it is the same Motherboard and Case then you probably could strap the extra drives inside that swingout panel.

The specs on this are very good if the S2 version can hold 6 drives, I'd buy it.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
OK I misread your post. You did get the server.

I did find a picture of the S2 HERE

And from the looks of it I don't see why you could not zip-tie two more drives to that swing out panel. Here are some good pics of the S1 version HERE.

And if that were the case you could easily put 6 drives easily in this box. So stupid why that is the one feature that distinguishes the two versions. Or do you think there are other features removed. How about the BIOS? Is there a different BIOS for the two versions? Or maybe the PSU is different and has less SATA power plugs? Do you think you could swap out the PSU as your server grows, or is it proprietary PSU? In the pictures on that Japanese site above it looks like the PSU might be proprietary. Can you check this out for me?

But a quick observation of the two motherboards, from the pictures, looks like the motherboards might be slightly different layout. :(

From the looks of the picture it looks like they use the same board with the six SATA ports inside.

I've heard of other putting at least another drive in the DVD slot, of course removing it first. So you could conceivably cram 7 if not 8 drives in this box with a SATA card installed.

If you can pack in at least 6 3TB drives (8 would be even better) I want one, but will only purchase if I can have it delivered for around $300 and at least six drive are possible. I'll hold off on the $320 plus tax and shipping deals available out there right now, and wait for a good deal. Thanks.

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Just go do it....Tiger Direct $299, shipping $15, no tax depending on state you live. Also just noticed Newegg Business has it for $299.

Not sure if you can change to a Xeon CPU if you need more power down the road and stay with this board? Just thinking as current CPUs get cheaper, change it out.

The cage below the DVD will hold three drives two in the 3.5" slots and one with rails added right below the DVD. If you wanted to add more drives like you said by zip tieing to the other drives you can, but you are also limited to 6 SATA' on the mobo. Also you could adapt a cage that will hold another two or three drives in between the power supply and the mobo expansion slots.

My preferred way would be to just buy the four drive swing out drive holder. Then add two more drives below the DVD in the 3.5" cage and a seventh below the DVD....but then you only have 6 SATA plugs. So maybe there's too much to add to the system to do what you want? I'm going to run the two stock drives and then run one 2TB for backing up network comps, then back the 2 TB drive to and off site cloud.

Yes its a standard PSU, I checked its size and screw holes so you can swap it out.

Also if you had the four drive swing out cage, you could possible piggy back two more drives so you would have two drives stacked on the bottom and three stacked on the top. The only thing I saw that would hang you up would be the expansion card slots if they were filled. Above the CPU heatsink you can probably put three drives....or four stacked if you changed out the heat sink to one with a cooling fan. The heatsink has no fan so it's taller....the case can is huge and blows air from the front to the back of the case and thats all you have cooling the heat sink and moving air through the case....except for the fan in the PSU.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

I'm seeing it as $320 plus shipping, not sure about tax, at Tiger Direct. And it is out of stock at Newegg Business.

Status
Not open for further replies.