Wireless connection of HP1300 with a Dlink DP-G310

vaughnjohnson

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hello, I am trying to get my HP 1300 LaserJet to connect to my network with a DLink DP-G310. It connects for a while then loses the connection. Only fix that I have found so far is to reinstall printer. Any help out there with settings, etc..

I just skimmed the DLink DP-G310 emulator, and it appears this print server only supports WEP, which suggests it’s quite old. I do see it went through several revisions, and was discontinued in Oct 2007. So I suppose later revisions might have supported better security.

Anyway, I’m only mentioning it because a lot of this networking equipment, particularly consumer grade devices, are made VERY cheaply, and will just reach their limit after 5-6 years. I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but when something this old has been working perfectly for years, then suddenly starts getting flakey, I start to wonder if it's just not the normal life cycle reaching its end.

So what the history of this device? What’s the revision? Is this only a recent problem? Did you introduce other changes (e.g., new wireless router)?

vaughnjohnson

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Thanks for your response. I recently bought an HP1300 on ebay to have a Laser Jet printer. My DP-G310 is about 5 years old. As you know the HP1300 is either is parallel or USB. If I delete the HP printer and reinstall it it will work once and the next time I go to print it will give me an error. So in essence to print I must delete and reinstall the printer. The DPG310 is hooked to a AT&T wireless router. I have looked over the settings and can't seem to determine the problem. I will appreciate any help with this... thanks Vaughn forgot to mention, desktop is running XP and the two laptops are running vista..

So you've actually had the print server for quite a while, but the printer is a new acquisition, and it’s never been used successfully w/ this model of printer, correct? That would seem to raise the possibility of an incompatibility. I searched Google for a DP-G310 compatibility list and the HP1300 wasn't listed (doesn't mean it won't work, but I'd feel better if it was listed).

ftp://ftp.dlink.es/Print%20Server/DP-G310/Manuale%20PDF/DP-G310_manual_v100.pdf (pg. 87)

ftp://87.127.234.134/dp_print_servers/dp-g310/DP-G310_Printer_Compatibility_List.doc

I see the print server supports several modes of printing, including IPP, LPR, Port (9100), etc. When in doubt of compatibility, it’s best to use Port (9100) printing. How did you configure the printer on the Windows client? Did you configure it as a local printer using a standard TCP/IP port (9100)?

vaughnjohnson

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

I took another approach and eliminated the DP-G310 and connected the printer directly to my desktop (XP) 32 bit and tryng to print thru my laptop (Vista) 64bit. I get an error message that the server (I am assuming that this is the XP unit) does not have the proper driver installed. You seem to be learned about these things. I have tried many HP1300 drivers with no luck. Any ideas.. Thanks

Frankly, I’m willing to bet using port 9100 printing would have worked, but whatever.

The reason XP is telling you it doesn’t have the driver is because it doesn’t have the driver. I know that sounds obvious, but normally the shared printer will attempt to locate the driver on its own machine first (as a convenience), and if compatible, pass it to the remote client (Vista). Since XP pre-dates Vista, XP can’t possibly have the Vista drivers. You need to download the drivers from HP.

If the HP drivers don’t work, then try this. Install the printer on the Vista machine (over USB). Hopefully Vista will auto-detect the printer, download the drivers, and install the printer. Assuming the printer now works, at least NOW you have the drivers downloaded and available. Now delete the printer and install the printer back on the XP machine. Finally, try to install the shared printer on Vista over the network again. Hopefully Vista will find the compatible drivers on your Vista machine (you may have to have it search for it).

vaughnjohnson

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Thank you so much for your help. Finally figured it out. On the two laptops I had to install a new printer, then chose new port (local port) then it asked me for a port name. What I was missing was that you had to put the name of the host computer (\\delldesktop) then the shared name on the host computer which was(\hplaserj). After I completed that, it worked like a charm. Once again thanks so much.