Sign in with
Your question

Will this mobo allow me to get 1866 speed from RAM?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 5, 2012 6:14:07 PM

Hey guys. I will be building my first pc, and i need some guidance and advice.

This is the mobo i will be going with:
Intel BOXDZ77GA70K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And this is the ram: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

this will be used with a Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge processor.

My question is will i be able to set the 1866 frequency of the ram on this mobo? basically, i want to make sure that this ram speed is compatible with my build, so that im not wasting more money on 1866 rather than sticking with 1600. guide me on this guys!

Also, what is the difference between pcie 3.0 x16 and pcie 3.0 x8? i have no clue what any of that means, so would someone be kind enough to explain the difference? lol. Also, tell me which pcie slot should i plug my GPU in for the fastest performance. The GPU im going w/ is the GTX 670 ftw, and im planning on maybe throwing another in there for some SLI amazement :hello:  , (in the future).

Thanks in advanced!

More about : mobo 1866 speed ram

a b V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 6:30:40 PM

That MOBO will not support 1866mhz, just get some RAM that is 1600mhz (at 1.5v).
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
December 5, 2012 7:27:52 PM

Better yet don't get an expensive, badly rated Intel motherboard. Asus, Gigabyte or ASRock should all offer cheaper boards with the same or more features an be much better overall boards especially at overclocking. Something Intel boards traditionally are not very good at.
Related resources
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
December 5, 2012 9:11:50 PM

Hey I like the Intel® DZ77GA-70K, I have it on my desk right now. In order to run DDR 3 1866 this board you will need to go into the bios and set the memory speed to run on 1866 but there really isnt much of a performance advantage to doing so so I would save the money and go with 1600.
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
December 5, 2012 10:08:33 PM

Hey I admit Intel boards are always rock solid and will work with almost any component made but they are not great overclockers at least not traditionally. That may have improved recently without me knowing about it. I tend to stick with Gigabyte boards for my personal setups. Other than the early P67 chipset issues ( cough cough* Intel's fault ;)  ) their boards have never let me down.

As far as that board goes it just seems to have a high number of bad reviews. Of course I realize that about half of bad newegg reviews are user error attributable. But when a product has more 1 star reviews than 4 star reviews you have to wonder.
!