Atom D2700 (Cedar Trail) 32 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonya

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I just got a Jetway miniITX Atom D2700 (Cedar Trail) board - when trying to load Win7 64-bit or Ubuntu 11 64-bit, I get the complaint that the CPU is not 64-bit and looks like an i686. The D2700 is supposed to be a 64-bit device. Has anyone else run into this?

Solution

This is very, very very bad. In regions such as Japan almost 70% of users are buying the 64bit OS.

What the ____ Intel is doing? No 64bit support? Will next product coming with "No Win7" support?

or just Win 95 support? This is...
This is from the white paper for the Intel® Atom™ Processor D2000s and N2000s

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/atom/atom-d2000-n2000-vol-1-datasheet.html

The following list provides some of the key features on this processor:• On die, primary 32kB, 4-way L1 instructions cache and 24kB, 6-way L1 write-back data cache• Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology 2-threads per core except for D2500 - no HT support• 512-kB, 8-way ECC protected L2 cache per core processor • Support for IA 32-bit• Intel® Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 and 3 (SSE2 and SSE3) and Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSSE3) support• Intel® 64 architecture• Micro-FCBGA11 packaging technologies• Thermal management support via Intel® Thermal Monitor (TM1 & TM2) - ELD TM1 only• Supports C0 and C1 states only for D2000 series; C0-C4, C1E-C4E and Deep Power Down Technology (code named C6) state for N2000 series processor

Now Jetway may not have enabled 64bit support on the board but that is only a guess.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

fonya

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Thanks Christian! That is probably the case, since I had earlier seen on ark.intel.com that the part is supposed to be 64-bit. Intel should be jumping on this, since the performance of the part on this system will not be representative of the D2700 - the release of this system is likely premature. Chris

ayshf_m

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I ran into this with a Jetway ITX board and emailed Jetway. Their bios is not supporting EM64T. The reason given is that the Intel have told them that the Atom is not a 64bit platform. I emailed Intel on why they should build a 64bit processor and simultaneoulsy tell the motherboard makers that they haven't. No answer as yet.

I think this is what has happened. Intel can't get the 64bit drivers working in windows 7, either because the driver team isn't up to snuff, olr more liklely because they've been told to concentrate on windows 8. Installing windows 7 therefore on Cedar trail is going to cause problems but at a late stage. To forestall this Intel and Jetway between them decided that enabling 64bit would generate support calls. Disable the option and it's a phsical impossibilty to install any 64 bit operating system problem solved.

Well not really, 64bit Linux would install and run fine and we a precluded from doing this. ZFS for instance really needs a 64bit OS.

Anyway mocking Jetway and Intel would seem to be the best way to encourage one or other of them to sort their *** out.

We offer this processor on a couple of boards (Intel® Desktop Boards D2700DC and D2700MUD) that both support Windows 7 (64bit) and we have drivers for it. When the first Intel Atom™ processors were released they were only 32bit but everything for a while has been 64bit support. http://ark.intel.com/compare/56456,56457 and http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+NM10+Chipset+Family+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Desktop+Board+D2700DC

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

fonya

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Christian - you are missing the point - we are talking about Atom D2700 (Cedar Trail) that is supposed to be 64-bit, but is shipping as 32-bit on the Jetway board mentioned above, it is even called out in BIOS. I am quite familiar with Atom and know that earlier devices were truly 32-bit, and that Cedar Trail is supposed to be 64-bit but is shipping as 32-bit in these boards.

If you work for Intel, you should get this straightened out with your partner, Jetway, who is shipping these boards.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris, I understand what you are saying. Also understand that we are unable to force a company to change or update their products. We provide them with the tools (chip, chipset, basic chipset drivers and updated chipset drivers every time we release them) to make their boards what they do with them is their business. The main point of my second post was to address ayshf_m and their statement that Intel® hasn't got back to them. So what I am trying to say is that it is a choice of Jetway to release this board without 64bit drivers. So yes I would love to be able to help you get this board to have 64bit support but unfortunately all I am able to do is refer you back to Jetway or advise that their are new boards that are being released that can possibly fit your needs.

Christain Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

vijay_555

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

ayshf_m

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
It's definatley Intel thats responsible for the mess, either by intention or accident they've contrived to convince the motherboard manufacturers to disable EM64T support because they don't have 64bit windows drivers.

Did they forget Linux?

Since it can only have 4GB of ram 32 bit Linux is fine for me, possibly better. The reason I wanted 64bit really is because my main linux box is 64bit and hence on the same Linux version compiling is much faster there and the binaries can then be copied. I can still do it but have to force a 32bit compile.

It is however the principle of the thing I bought a 64bit computer and someone for arbitary reasons has seen fit to disable it.

That said for a fanless box low juice box, mine is acting as a transparent proxy/bridge router mainly, it's pretty powerful.

ayshf_m

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
True, but cedar trail can only see 4gb anyway, PAE is kinda moot with that sort of limitation. PAE is also good for addressing more than 4Gb only if your indivdual process size is 4Gb or less. Java for instance needs a 64bit kernel to have very large heap sizes. One of the very few uses for monster java heaps IMHO and hence a 64bit OS is debugging, if a JVM pegs out with a 3Gb and a leak you need to get that whole heap into an analyser and since the analysers are java that predicates a 64bit JVM, a whopping heap on a 64bit OS.

I have a quad core box with 32gb of ran for that sort of work tho.

So I don't need 64bit on my cedar trail box, but it would be nice from a consistancy perspective, I'd like every box to be the same.

If you have Linux, you could just install the PAE kernel to access up to 64GB of RAM on a 32bit OS.

Total, but you are still limited to 4GB per application. Note, this same situation exists when running 32-bit applications [compiled as Large Address Aware] on Win64. Hence why we desperatly need normal applications to start offering 64-bit exe's.

Of course, if they did that, I'd expect 32GB would be standard within two years...

OK I just got word back on this; I am sorry for the confusion as there will not be any support for Windows 7 64bit on this board. All the 64bit drivers that are on our site for these boards are being pulled. So while the Intel® Atom™ D2700 does have em64t because of the limitation of the board they are not going to offer support for Windows 7 64bit for it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I know, but that tends to be ok for Intel Atom. There if you used a single application that was capable using 4GB of RAM, your Atom would be pretty darn stressed. ;)

But yeah, I had 32bit Linux PAE and it's pretty annoying because unless you run the enterprise distributions, the support is crap.

So I eventually got the 64bit version and installed 32bit libraries. :p

Point is reminding people they can still use PAE.

vijay_555

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Christian, when you say "this board" then does it mean the Jetway board or all D2700 boards including
the Intel Box ones?
Also if it is for all boards it means Atom systems will not have 64 bit support though the processor is 64 bit capable.

vijay

On the Intel® website there has been Windows 7 64bit drivers (no graphics or storage drivers) for the Intel Desktop Boards D2700DC and D2700MUD. These 64bit drivers are to be pulled from the Intel site. In the end we are not going to be providing any type of support for developing 64bit drivers for any Intel Atom™ D2700 based boards. So the statement from Jetway that 64bit support is not going to be offered because Intel isnt providing support for these is correct.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Status
Not open for further replies.