Overclock an i3-380M?

SetZ

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Hi guys, I have a laptop that has the Core i3-380M which runs @ 2.53GHz. Is there a possibility of overclocking it even by around 100-300MHz? I went to the BIOS and didn't find any options to change it, I guess it's locked at that frequency. Is there any way around this? I'm not a pro when it comes to these things by the way but my curiosity urges me to do so. :D I don't even know if it's that really worth doing it or not. It's an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop by the way.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Just don't overclock your cpu, laptops are made to work at max they can handle, because of the small space and low cooling laptops are too hot, if you overclock your CPU 100-300mhz more than the auto-overclock or default clock, you will probabily toast something, unless you can change your laptop cooling system, it is not even close to recommended do something like that.

Hi :)

VERY good advice from the above poster...

DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT IT...

You WILL either burn out the mobo or the cpu...there is NO leeway for cooling the heat generated by overclocking....and I am a little suprised that the Intel guy even suggested its possible considering the damage you will do... :(

I own a Lappy repair company and we see the results of this a LOT.... and basically we have to explain that the laptop is too expensive to repair....and is only good for the bin...

All the best Brett :)

SetZ

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Thank you for all of your responses guys, appreciate it! Okay so i'm convinced now that I just won't do it due to the heating issues that may arise in doing so. Can't risk frying it!

toby124

Honorable
May 29, 2012
before completely giving up hope you could get a cooling mat and see how hot it is running with that. if its below 65-70C you should be safe to overclock slightly untill the temp hits about 80C. beyond that is dangerous for the parts