Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Using vaccume cleaner as blower....

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2012 4:43:27 PM

:hello:  Hey i want to know that can i Use a 600W vacuum cleaner AS A Blower on the heat sink of my CPU... :pt1cable: 

More about : vaccume cleaner blower

a c 186 à CPUs
February 2, 2012 5:03:34 PM

What is the point? Can you even fit it in your system? You know you can always replace your heatsink or add more fans...
Score
February 2, 2012 5:09:07 PM

Actually i am showing the power of the vacuum cleaner by writing 600 watts i am not going to fit this in my system :non:  ....

and my main point on this is can i use a vacuum cleaner in blower mode for cleaning my CPU heat sink.... :o 
Score
Related resources
February 2, 2012 5:11:45 PM

anuk07 said:
Actually i am showing the power of the vacuum cleaner by writing 600 watts i am not going to fit this in my system :non:  ....

and my main point on this is can i use a vacuum cleaner in blower mode for cleaning my CPU heat sink.... :o 

Compressed air should be readily available at any store that sells office supplies.......
Score
February 2, 2012 5:23:54 PM

You may find that your vaccum cleaner blower uses a brush style motor. Those sparks may not play well with electronics. (EM noise) If you need proof, try running the motor next to an old tube monitor and see what happens.
Score
February 2, 2012 5:35:43 PM

sparks ....? how can a spark can travel via blown air from vacuum cleaner blower out traveling via 2 feet plastic tube ending with a pointed opening ? and Electromagnetic noise how the hack the magnetic noise of motor can cause problem to the electronics of my mobo if it is kept 2.5-3 feet away........???????????????????????????????
Score
February 2, 2012 5:46:55 PM

Try it then, Let us know how you make out. For myself, I'd got with the usual brush less cooling fan or water cool system. IHO
Score
February 2, 2012 5:50:17 PM

Never mind, I missed you post about cleaning the heat sink! Doh.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 5:53:07 PM

Honestly, just use a plastic attachment so there's no sparks discharging if you touch metal. Then remove the heat sink fan and use a tooth brush or whatever to scrub the dust off and suck it up with the vacuum.
Score
February 2, 2012 6:12:29 PM

thnx wolfram23 for positive reply.....but can i use vacuum cleaner as blower with a plastic attachment and blow out the dust and then collect blown out dust by sucking up....
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 6:17:15 PM

Perhaps, but I doubt it'll be strong enough to get it all. Depends on when you last cleaned it, but that dust can get pretty crusty lol. It shouldn't cause any damage if you're careful. Turn off the PC and switch off the PSU, and try not to touch it at all. Keep in mind that your body can become statically charged as well from the vacuum. You'll want to ground yourself before touching any PC parts, and usually touch a metal part of the PC case to send any charge out the PSU ground instead of through a mobo circuit.
Score
a c 99 à CPUs
February 2, 2012 6:28:46 PM

Vacuum cleaner nozzle inside a computer is flat out a bad idea!

Why?

Because air blowing through or pulling through plastic generates static electricity and static electricity is a known computer component killer.

Why would you even take the chance?
Score
a c 99 à CPUs
February 2, 2012 6:32:31 PM

Quote:
4ryan6 - sup dude.

Hey MM hows it going?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 6:42:33 PM

anuk07 said:

First off, your cpu fan blows the dirt into the heatsink in the first place, why would blowing it harder clean it? just stick the vacuum over the fan and suck the dirt off. cleans the fan and the heatsink and doesn't disperse the dirt to the rest of the computer. just make sure to unplug the heatsink and fan as ryan said, its possible to get a discharge, but I have done it to my old computer and never had a problem, but it is possible.
Score
a c 99 à CPUs
February 2, 2012 6:46:56 PM

Not really MM been kinda busy with that cooling fan roundup.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 6:54:07 PM

amuffin said:
What is the point? Can you even fit it in your system? You know you can always replace your heatsink or add more fans...

This made me LOL :-)

Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 7:14:43 PM

In the 'old days of 8086 processors and 64 Meg of Ram we used an industrial vacuum cleaner, the type where you plug the hose into the wall and a giant tank supplied the vacuum, we used them all the time in both push and pull mode to clean out about 60 Dells in our business. We never lost one due to static discharge. I have used a 30 gal. shop vacuum at home on my newer processers a few times in blower mode using a plastic upholstery tool with no problems as well. I finall got a 10 gal compressed ar tank using up to 60lbs. of pressure to avoid dragging the monster shop vac around. I can fill it free at a local tire shop and don't have to spend $6-$10 a can for that miniscule amount of compressed air you buy. You can buy a compressed air tank at Sears for $50 or less or probably at automotive parts stores.
Score
February 3, 2012 9:20:01 AM

ok i am not cleaning it with any thing....
Score
February 3, 2012 10:48:45 AM

anuk07 said:
:hello:  Hey i want to know that can i Use a 600W vacuum cleaner AS A Blower on the heat sink of my CPU... :pt1cable: 

The duty cycle on the vacuum motor probably isn't rated to be run that way, and the air coming out will probably be heated also. The way a vacuum cleaner is designed with a balance of CFM and Vacuum pressure (I think they use water lift as a spec). A forward curve blower using less power could move more air at a lower static pressure than a vacuum.
Score
February 3, 2012 1:20:53 PM

@rapidtransit

heat is no issue cause it sucks cold air from surrounding and blow the same I tested it....I was very eager to buy a can of compressed air but it is not easily available in Bhopal(madhya pradesh INDIA)....many computer repair shops here uses a big powerful blower to blow all the dust and just wash the heat sink separately they just give me advice to buy a blower and just blow the dust out ...but this is harmful ...according to the "static" theory...I am done and will buy a can of compressed air any how.....
Score
February 3, 2012 1:22:12 PM

Best answer selected by anuk07.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 2:34:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!