Sign in with
Your question

New System/Video/Boot Device Woes

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2011 3:46:37 PM

Recently put together my first home-built system in 8+ years and am having difficulty with getting it up and running. Specs are as follows:

Case: CoolerMaster Haf x RC-492-KKN1 ATX Full Tower

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro LGA 1155 Intel w/ UEFI BIOS

Processor: Intel Quad Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2x 4MB) DDR3 SDRAM

Power Supply: CoolerMaster SilentPro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200watt ATX

Video Card: EVGA Super Clocked GeForce GTX 570 PCI Express

SSD: Intel 320 Series 160GB SATA II

HDD: Western Digitial Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA

DVD: LG Internal SATA 12x Blue Ray Disc Rewriter

Monitor: 27" ASUS LCD VE278Q

Assembled everything over the course of about two hours, trying my best to ensure everything was seated properly and cables weren't in the way of fans. Upon initial power up, the motherboard does what is (apparently) typical of this ASUS P8Z68 and does a "pre boot", powers down, does a second pre-boot, then goes through a full boot. The monitor does not detect any input from either the GeForce's DVI or VGA's ports, nor does it detect from the mobo's integrated DVI/VGA ports. I haven't yet attempted to pull out the video card and go straight through the mobo.

I'm not getting any CMOS beeps (not sure if its because I plugged the case speaker into the wrong pins, but I went by the mobo's manual illustration), but the LED indicators are working. CPU checks out, as does memory and VGA, but the LED for Boot Device is a solid red. I've checked power connections (both the large ATX and smaller, 8 pin plug on the motherboard are plugged into the power supply) and made sure the SATA plugs are solidly in the hard-drives.

I know I need to go through a full diagnostic run, removing video card, SSD, HDD and individual RAM sticks in turn, but are there any major screwups apparent from my description that jump out at folks? As I mentioned, its been years since I've built a system and I could have easily missed something easy, like mounting the motherboard wrong or plugging cables into the wrong sockets on the motherboard. I would post on the fly, but my laptop died and I have no internet in my barracks room and am forced to post from work. Any help that folks could provide would be greatly appreciated.

V/r,

IS1(SW/AW) David C Peters

II MEF 2nd Intel BN PASCO AFP

a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2011 4:45:08 PM

Quote:
I haven't yet attempted to pull out the video card and go straight through the mobo

Z68 goes through the motherboard not the video card. It's for the virtu technology where it uses the motherboards video card for low graphic uses and the graphic cards for high usage. It's also for quick sync.
November 2, 2011 9:59:17 PM

I've gotten the system running, but the monitor refuses to recognize any input when the GPU is plugged in. I've tried it with the DVI in the GPU and with both VGA and DVI in the mobo with no joy. Is there some specific setting in the BIOS I need to monkey with? The ASUS manual is infuriating in its vagueness.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2011 1:10:28 AM

So everything works fine when you are not using the gtx570 but once you install it and start up you can't receive a signal...Did asus come with all the software to install? I don't have the z68 so I don't know if the virtu software is on the mobo or you have to install it. That could be the issue otherwise I'm at a loss.
!