Sign in with
Your question

Really need help pissed off

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2012 5:48:03 PM

Hey guys, A while back i spilled water on my rig, and I have had problems ever since. When I first spilled water the computer, it would turn on for about 2 seconds and then turn off. It would automatically turn on and off continuously, until i turned off the power supply. So I took it in to a local computer repair shop for a diagnostic and they told me my motherboard, video card and power supply were bad. They also told me my ram and cpu were questionable. So I replaced my ram, video card, motherboard, graphics card, and power supply. As I booted it up, it still does the same thing, turns on and off continuously. So my question is would my hard drive or cpu cause this problem? I did return my motherboard back into gigabyte but I am not sure if they actually fixed the problem or just shipped it back to me. I don't want to fork over another 250 bucks for a new processor if that may not be the issue. Anyways im frustrated beyond belief and I need some advice. Thanks guys and look forward to hearing back from ya.

More about : pissed

a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 6:14:08 PM

After you spilled the water, did you take the time to dry it out with the power unplugged?

Also it sounds like that computer shop took you for a ride. It's pretty unlikely that you need to replace so many things, though not impossible.

It sounds to me like a motherboard issue, but you said it was replaced? If you sent it in to Gigabyte they would have responded with whether they found any issue and whether they fixed it or not.

Also it might help to tell use your system specs.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 6:40:54 PM

Was the computer powered up when you spilled the water on it?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 7:02:11 PM

I have a Gigabyte board that has been doing exactly that. The system turns on for two seconds and then turns off in a repeating cycle. I even bought a new PSU only to discover that the issue is related to the board.

The way we got it going (though it still does it to a certain degree) was to install the latest BIOS and we made sure that all auto over clocking features were off. That seems to have kept it sweet though I don't use it much as it is not my main Rig.

I agree with wolfram that you may have been taken for ride.
m
l
February 2, 2012 7:16:47 PM

Well I contacted gigabyte and they told me my motherboard replacement was brand new. So the motherboard issue must not be the problem. So the only thing it can be in my opinion is my CPU or my hard drive. I unplugged my hard drive and tried to boot it up but I run into the same issue. I also took out my CPU and tried to boot it up but same thing. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help so far. Below are my specs.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Video Card: EVGA 560 TI super clocked eddition(Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready
Memory:Corsair Dominator (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX
Mother Board: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...
Power supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
m
l
February 2, 2012 7:24:20 PM

Or is it a possibility that there is something wrong with the wiring from my case?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 7:29:07 PM

There's a chance the motherboard is shorting out on the case. Sometimes it's possible the mobo screws will do that, often they come with a small paper gasket to prevent a short.
m
l
February 2, 2012 7:44:40 PM

Well when i spilled water on it i didnt ever realize it. I just saw a glass that bounced off my case. so I didnt think it did anything and I tried booting it up. As far as the MOBO shorting tot he case, I dont think thats the issue. I was careful enough to make sure that it didnt happen when I put it back together.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 8:15:16 PM

I'm going to stick to my theory about the motherboard at this point. If you check it out you will see other people having similar problems with Gigabyte Motherboards. The Rig that I have (my last) Gigabyte Board in does the exact same thing. It has done so since the day I got it as a replacement board from Gigabyte when my previous Board had south bridge issues.

m
l
February 2, 2012 10:40:20 PM

At this point i'm gunna guess it isnt my mother board but you could be right. I dont have any other option then to go get another diagnostic from somewhere else.
m
l
February 3, 2012 2:54:05 PM

Since everything has been replaced except my cpu, is there a possibility that my case could be the problem?
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
February 3, 2012 2:57:29 PM

To test to see if your problem is the case try to build the system outside of the case on something like a piece of cardboard so you aren't grounding it out.

Christian Wood
Intel® Enthusiast Team
m
l
February 3, 2012 3:06:41 PM

I was just wondering if its the power connectors that come from the case. Ive put in two grand into this thing and it drives me crazy I can't figure out whats wrong with it. Thanks for the input.
m
l
!