Canon A75 with stuck lens

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 19, 2005 2:28:04 AM

I was out in the pines this weekend and taking photos with my Canon
Powershot A75. It's almost 1 year old. Anyway I turn it on and the lens
gets stuck coming out. The camera after that just dies. Turning it on
and off I hear a slight clicking sound but the lens will not move.
Batteries were just charged. I removed the batteries for an hour to see
if the camera would reset-no luck. If I have the camera in playback
mode and press the set button, it makes a sound like it's trying to
move the lens and then 3 beeps and shuts off. The LCD screen will not
turn on at all.
Now I bought the camera at Circuit City and have an extended protection
plan. However, that will not kick in until May 18th. I am still under
the manufacterer's warranty. The store says I have to speak with Canon.
I have called Canon and they gave me an address to send it in. But I
feel I should not have to pay for shipping, Canon will not send me
pre-paid shipping labels nor will the store send it to Canon for me.
One manager I spoke with at CC said I'm just better off waiting til May
18th. At that time the store will pay for shipping labels and upon
recieving the defective product send me a gift card for a replacement.
I've used this plan in the past for a walkman and has worked very well.
So should I just wait or deal with Canon now? I'd rather my camera be
fixed. The A75 is not sold in stores anymore. Has anyone else
experienced a similar problem? It seemed to occur out of the blue.
However, in hindsight, I did notice a slightly longer than normal focus
time prior to the breakdown.

More about : canon a75 stuck lens

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:48:07 PM

In article <1113888484.634835.217310@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
qtraindash7@optonline.net says...
> I was out in the pines this weekend and taking photos with my Canon
> Powershot A75. It's almost 1 year old. Anyway I turn it on and the lens
> gets stuck coming out. The camera after that just dies. Turning it on
> and off I hear a slight clicking sound but the lens will not move.
> Batteries were just charged. I removed the batteries for an hour to see
> if the camera would reset-no luck. If I have the camera in playback
> mode and press the set button, it makes a sound like it's trying to
> move the lens and then 3 beeps and shuts off. The LCD screen will not
> turn on at all.
> Now I bought the camera at Circuit City and have an extended protection
> plan. However, that will not kick in until May 18th. I am still under
> the manufacterer's warranty. The store says I have to speak with Canon.
> I have called Canon and they gave me an address to send it in. But I
> feel I should not have to pay for shipping, Canon will not send me
> pre-paid shipping labels nor will the store send it to Canon for me.
> One manager I spoke with at CC said I'm just better off waiting til May
> 18th. At that time the store will pay for shipping labels and upon
> recieving the defective product send me a gift card for a replacement.
> I've used this plan in the past for a walkman and has worked very well.
> So should I just wait or deal with Canon now? I'd rather my camera be
> fixed. The A75 is not sold in stores anymore. Has anyone else
> experienced a similar problem? It seemed to occur out of the blue.
> However, in hindsight, I did notice a slightly longer than normal focus
> time prior to the breakdown.

I'm no expert, but I have heard "stuck lens" is often (not always) caused
by mechanical impact rather than by a manufacturing defect. If that is
the case, you will be lucky if your warranty covers the problem.

There is a (german?) web page sonmewhere detailing a home repair.

I did see this one...

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7593-
0.html?forumID=58&threadID=94128&messageID=1064930

and this

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t...
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:48:08 PM

I know this sounds stupid but have you tried fresh fully-charged batteries,
the condition you describe happens on my A75 when the batteries are low!

Double R

"Bruce Graham" <jbgraham@nowhere.com.au> wrote in message
> In article <1113888484.634835.217310@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> qtraindash7@optonline.net says...
> > I was out in the pines this weekend and taking photos with my Canon
> > Powershot A75. It's almost 1 year old. Anyway I turn it on and the lens
> > gets stuck coming out. The camera after that just dies. Turning it on
> > and off I hear a slight clicking sound but the lens will not move.
> > Batteries were just charged. I removed the batteries for an hour to see
> > if the camera would reset-no luck. If I have the camera in playback
> > mode and press the set button, it makes a sound like it's trying to
> > move the lens and then 3 beeps and shuts off. The LCD screen will not
> > turn on at all.
> > Now I bought the camera at Circuit City and have an extended protection
> > plan. However, that will not kick in until May 18th. I am still under
> > the manufacterer's warranty. The store says I have to speak with Canon.
> > I have called Canon and they gave me an address to send it in. But I
> > feel I should not have to pay for shipping, Canon will not send me
> > pre-paid shipping labels nor will the store send it to Canon for me.
> > One manager I spoke with at CC said I'm just better off waiting til May
> > 18th. At that time the store will pay for shipping labels and upon
> > recieving the defective product send me a gift card for a replacement.
> > I've used this plan in the past for a walkman and has worked very well.
> > So should I just wait or deal with Canon now? I'd rather my camera be
> > fixed. The A75 is not sold in stores anymore. Has anyone else
> > experienced a similar problem? It seemed to occur out of the blue.
> > However, in hindsight, I did notice a slightly longer than normal focus
> > time prior to the breakdown.
> >
> I'm no expert, but I have heard "stuck lens" is often (not always) caused
> by mechanical impact rather than by a manufacturing defect. If that is
> the case, you will be lucky if your warranty covers the problem.
>
> There is a (german?) web page sonmewhere detailing a home repair.
>
> I did see this one...
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7593-
> 0.html?forumID=58&threadID=94128&messageID=1064930
>
> and this
>
> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t...

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 10:27:28 PM

I've put new batteries in, still won't budge. In reply to the other
poster, the lens was never subjected to an impact while opening. I've
tried the various solutions to the "E18 error", none of them have
worked. And I never got an E18 error on my LCD screen. It just won't
work at all. The light will blink and sometimes you can hear it trying
to move the lens but with no luck.
!